• In the Spotlight:

I am a Christian but I have a doubt...

I don't know why I just noticed this but in Genesis it talks about the creation and Adam and Eve, etc. Then Adam and Eve have Cain and Abel, then all of a sudden the Bible talks about Cain's wife? Where the heck did she come from? Does it explain this later on? I just can't understand. If we came from 2 people, there was incest. Right? I have always been a Christian but now the Bible is just not making sense to me... please only answer the question don't bash me on how my faith is weak or some bull. I'm looking for facts. Thank you!

madrigalreject

Asked by madrigalreject at 2:45 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i have always wonder that 2. and it also talk about some ware in the bible that man lays with his daughter so i dont know if you fiuger it out let me know
    angel_megan

Answer by angel_megan at 2:52 PM on May. 7, 2009

• The way I see it, with the Jewish people being His "chosen people", I think they trace their lineage back to Adam and Eve, and that God made other groups of people after they were kicked out of the garden, and thats where Cain's wife comes from.
    Its sick to think about, but incest did happen back then. They did what they had to do to get the population going. Although I think that back then there weren't as many things (genetically) to worry about.
    And don't worry about having doubts - that's completely natural. Questioning makes our beliefs stronger, and no matter what you should believe something because it makes sense to you and because you are convicted with the belief, not because someone tells you that you should.
    So, good luck, and if you have any other questions/concerns feel free to PM me!
    I'll be more than happy to explain things to the best of my ability!
    =D
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:54 PM on May. 7, 2009

• This ia a common question I think I have answered it three times in the last month or two lol

I think I am going to start a file with the most common questions and then when it comes up Ill have an answer handy lol
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/who-was-cains-wife read the whole thing... much easier that for me to write it all out. Great site for any other questions you may have.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:56 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Adam and Eve were not made to be brother and sister, they were made to be man and woman, woman meaning made from a mans rib, when i was a young christian i asked myself this question too, when your young in christ, questions arise, thats ok, ask God for the answer, and ask God to lead you in his word and he will. Hope this helped somewhat, and a man never layed his daughter, it talks about how 2 daughters got there father drunk and snuck in his room, he didn't know the were his daughters, and anyway not everyone in the bible is perfict, just Jesus christ, the other people are like me and you, so many people talk down on mistakes people made in the bible like they are not aloud to make a mistake, there written in the bible, not everyone in the bible is jesus remember that, oh that last part was for angel megan
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 3:00 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I remember asking this question as a child. My mother said that yes, Cain did marry his sister, BUT that because Adam and Eve were the first there genetics were as close to perfect as possible therefore so were Cains and his sisters. And although it was technically insest it wasn't what we think of today as incest. That was all they knew and their genes hadn't had the time to break down the way ours have - which is what produces issues with incest babies - so, although it was his sister, it was a different situation than what we think of as wrong...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:06 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Hm, that's a really great question!

I like both answers given by bandgeek and sabrina. They both make sense to me!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:11 PM on May. 7, 2009

• What makes you so sure that God did not make Cain's wife as he had made Adam's?
    God bless
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 3:24 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Mo.... go to the website I posted.. Adam was the FIRST MAN made ..... Eve was the SECOND...

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:23 PM on May. 7, 2009

• History Channel. Mysteries of the Bible series. Adam and Eve were NOT the parents of ALL of mankind--only of the Israelites. Cain's wife was descended from a different origen or tribe and was NOT his sister. He apparently found her in the land of Nod after he was exiled for murdering his brother. Gensis 4:16-17 or thereabouts.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 4:35 PM on May. 7, 2009

• i've always assumed that God created more than just two people. Adam and Eve were just the one's that were first and in the Garden on Eden.
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 4:46 PM on May. 7, 2009