Cramps that feel like right before your period what could this mean?

I am 32 weeks and been having these painful dull cramps like I would get during or right before me period what could this mean? Also any tips on how to keep leg/hip cramps away?

HuntersMama09

Asked by HuntersMama09 at 2:50 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• they may be braxton hicks. as far as keeping the leg cramps away, i've found if i sit for more than 3 hours in the same spot (driving far, working at a desk etc..) that i will wake up w/horrible leg cramps in the middle of the night. so try not to sit still for long periods of time, and when you do have to sit still for a few hours drink lots of water. oh, and being out in the heat for more than an hour always made me get them with my first pregnancy so try to stay inside when its too hot and if you have to be out that long drink lots of water then too. potassium rich foods are supposed to help with cramps when you aren't preg so i would assume they would help while you are too (bananas always worked when i was a swimmer and would get lower leg cramps)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:54 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Leg and hip cramps could be from a lack of potassium. I had that issues but once I started eatinga banana a day they went away.

The period-esque cramps are probably Braxton Hicks (fake) contractions. Real contractions will be like period cramps but won't go away when you change position or activity, or eat something. If you are getting tons of them no matter what you do, go get checked out. My friend had her baby at 30 weeks because her ultrasound mistook a petite baby for an underdeveloped baby... That's highly unlikely though...

I always found that shopping or just walking around in Target would get my mind off of the BHCs, and would make them go away with the change in movement. Good Luck!
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 2:57 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Call your doctor about the cramps, probably Braxton hicks but you should be positive. Better safe then sorry also Potassium and Water, eat a banana. It will stop promise
    Mommyxtwo777

Answer by Mommyxtwo777 at 3:59 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Your pains sound like braxton Hicks I get them too (almost 31 weeks) and the cramps on your legs...me too! I asked my doctor because my vericose veins on my right leg are horrible and that's where I am getting my cramps at night, they are very uncomfortable, she said it was becasue of the overflow in blood and should go away after the pregnancy...hopefully! hang in there, you're almost done!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 4:17 PM on May. 7, 2009