How do you feel about Obama's proposed budget cuts?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090507/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_budget
President Barack Obama asked Congress on Thursday to eliminate or trim 121 federal programs for a savings of $17 billion in the coming budget year. Many of the proposed cuts have already been rejected by Obama's allies in Congress, including some programs that his predecessor, President George W. Bush, repeatedly sought to end.
They include:the State Criminal Alien Assistance Program; a $10 million West Virginia highway project, a $15 million for California for diesel emissions reduction grants, ending production of the F-22 fighter and killing a much-maligned replacement helicopter fleet for the president that's way over budget, and ending the obsolete LORAN-C marine navigation system, which still gets $35 million a year despite being made obsolete by the satellite-based Global Positioning System.
Hes proposing cuts on Rep AND Dem run projects...

ozarkgirl3

Asked by ozarkgirl3 at 2:58 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it is a step in the right direction. Hopefully this will challenge Congress to cut MORE than the 17 billion.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 3:42 PM on May. 7, 2009

• i think he should start with aborting the $100M budget for Census to GPS all our houses.

See other post.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 3:03 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I think it's just a start. I think he should go through it again and again and again until he finds more wasteful/obsolete/outdated and ridiculous programs. I'm glad the F-22 project is done..we're about to get the 35's and everyone is excited.

It'll be interesting to see how much he can get passed though.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 3:04 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I think it's great. hope it passes
    Anonymous

• Friday's gonna OBD me, but here goes - I think it's hysterical that one of his biggest cuts is something Bush tried to do repeatedly and got shot down (SCAAP). I don't think they are nearly enough, and I think congress will "help" by sneaking in two more things in other bills for every thing he or they agree to cut. Most of all, I think he's finally starting to see WHY hope and change was such a load of crap, because I think he honestly believed congress was going to back him and be as unified as they were during the campaign. Truth has been repeatedly smacking him in the face, and this will be one more go round. Especially if he has to keep going back for more war funding.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:05 PM on May. 7, 2009

• maybe take back the money it cost for a photo shoot from Air Force One.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 3:06 PM on May. 7, 2009

• LOL, NP. No I know you don't have OBD. I kind of agree with you. I doubt Congress will give him what he wants. Nancy seems to think she is running the show and won't like Obama thinking for himself. I didn't have a chance to read the article posted but I thought I saw something on DU about war funding going thru but I could be wrong.

I do think it's good that he is looking for ways to make cuts but I'm not optimistic about Congress following thru.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:14 PM on May. 7, 2009

• It's still not enough in comparison to what he spent, makes a good media display though to get his smilin face back on my television every night. And every day, and then again at night, and then again in the morning.......
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 3:33 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Akin no problemo with that here no tv lol.I agree though it is far from enough for me.Now if he keeps cutting and cutting for quite some time he may get some day get to where I can say that is good :) I have a hard time trusting any of them on the hill right now though no matter the letter by their name.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:49 PM on May. 7, 2009

• It is equiv to 1/2 of 1% of Obamas TOTAL SPENDING. Its a joke
    myame

Answer by myame at 4:06 PM on May. 7, 2009