How much should my 3 month old sleep?

I'm reading something from sleepy planet that says 4 month olds should sleep 11-12 hours a night and take 3 naps totaling 3-4 hours a day. I would like to get my 3 month on a schedule like this by the time she is 4 months but she does not sleep! She is just like a little adult. She sleeps usually from 8pm to10pm then I wake her for a bottle...then she sleeps through the night! But...she rarley sleeps during the day. Maybe 1-2 naps that total an hour. Is this ok? I've started putting her down in her crib for naps 3x a day and I can get about 20 min out of her max.

kellycali

Asked by kellycali at 3:14 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• not all babys are the same, i have 3 kids 5yrs, 2yrs and 1 yr. Wow my 1st baby never slept, he woke up every 15min of the night. My second baby i was not going to let do that to me, so i put her on a schedule, i made her take her napes when i wanted her to and if she didn't like it than she had to cry to sleep, by 3mths she was sleeping through the night and taking 2 naps a day 2 hrs each. same with my 3rd baby. My friends with kids are so jelous how i got my kids on a really good schedule, but from day one you have to put your foot down, yes a know a newborn needs bottles, but at 3mths old, they don't need a middle of the night bottle anymore, just give them bottles during the day and one before bed and thats it till morning if they wake up use a pacifier or rub there back, but whatever you do don't pick them up, because kids can play you even at 3mths old, and they can make habits that last till there 5yrs.
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 3:20 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Really! I am jealous. My eight month old son doesn't even do that. If yours is sleeping through the night I would n't change anything and count my blessings.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 4:11 PM on May. 7, 2009

• If your baby is really cranky then worry about how much sleep she is getting. Mine never wanted to sleep but was very cheerful and alert.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 5:36 PM on May. 7, 2009