Can I cut them off at a meal?

Let me start by saying I am not asking this because of lack of food or money. I want to know if it is ok to cut my kids off at a meal? I am making ridiculous amounts of food to feed my family of 5 and my 2 biggest eaters are my 20 month old twin boys. Just the other day I made 8 pieces of fish 2 lbs of hash browns and 2 cans of peas for dinner. I did not eat. (because I just wasn't hungry) I put in the fridge for leftovers 1 piece of fish and the boys wanted more potatoes and peas. There was no more. I cant believe how much they eat. They eat more than I do. I do not want my kids to go hungry but I do not want them to think it is ok to gorge themselves either. They are by no means overweight. They are just under average on the charts and eat just about anything I put in front of them. They love their vegs, fruit, meat, everything. Should I let them continue to eat 4,5,and even 6 helpings at a meal?

klpeter

Asked by klpeter at 3:19 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Are they getting enough snacks? they are probably just getting a growth spurt. my son has a hollow leg it seems when he hits those. lol.
    Anonymous

• Give them a nice size dinner , then if they want more make it raw veges or an apple. Or even the veges they had for dinner would be okay. I noticed this usually happens just before a growing spurt then the binge eating will slow down for awhile.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 3:28 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I agree with the growth spurt idea and in a couple months they might not be eating much at all. I however would not cut them back, it's good they are big eaters as long as there is no weight issue which you said there is not and they eat veggies too which is great. I would not change anything but do make sure they are getting snacks through out the day so they don't just gorge themselves at meals

Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 3:29 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I agree with the pp, Its probably a growth spurt, Sometimes my sone who is 2 can pack away 3 bowls of cereal, and other times he wont want to eat at all.
    cainesmama

Answer by cainesmama at 4:30 PM on May. 7, 2009

• its a tough call but i would say let them eat if they are telling you theyre hugnry. i mean, as long as its healthy food they're eating and the dr says they are in the right place size wise then there isnt anything wrong with them eating a little extra. or a lot! it depends on what they're eating and how fast they will burn through it. fish isnt very filling, especially if they run around half as much as my one year old does so mabey they are just growing and need extra fuel. good luck!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 5:19 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Make more meals with beans and whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta,etc.). When my daughter was small, she always had a veggie snack before dinner, like carrots with hummus.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:27 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Let them eat if they're hungry, for sure! Kids know when to stop.
    savvybabygrace

Answer by savvybabygrace at 6:52 PM on May. 7, 2009