Low carb dieters?How many carbs can you have a day?

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 3:20 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Diets don't work, they just keep you on the gain/loss rollercoaster. You need to change your lifestyle and set a great example for your kids. At least 20 minutes of brisk walking or other exercise at least three times a week. Drink water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day. Eat fruits & vegetables, 7-8 servings in at least 3 colors a day. Start replacing your white foods (simple grains like white rice, bread, pasta) with whole grains (like brown rice, quinoa, whole grain bread & torillas, whole wheat pasta, working your way up to 7 servings of whole grains a day. Cut way back on, or eliminate, meat and dairy; eat beans and lentils. Go to your local library & look for any book by Dr. McDougall. Free meal plans and recipes here: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html. I have many family-tested recipes, msg me any time!

Answer by rkoloms at 4:21 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I'm following a low carb meal plan because of my diabetes. I get LOTS of veggies, fiber and protein without eating a lot of carbs. I get maybe 30 to 45 g of carbs each day, which is about 1/3 of what is recommended for people that don't have problems with carbs. I've done very well. The carbs that I do eat are in fresh fruit, All-Bran cereal, plain yogurt, and milk. Since I've been following this plan, my blood sugar average has dropped by almost 60 points, my cholesterol has dropped, and I've lost over 6 inches from my waistline. I feel wonderful! No more pasta, bread or potatoes for me!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:03 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I am doing Low-Carb, very close to phasee 1 of Atkins. And I am doing resistance training. I have done this before and It was a miracle worker. I have hypothyroidism, and the Low-Carb (Atkins) lifestyle is the best. Calories are useless to count, I tried the calorie counting and I was always hungry. Right now I am doing 20 carbs a day. I focuse everyday on 14 carbs of non-starch Vegetables and the rest meats. Sometimes, It ends up being 10carbs of Meats and 10carbs of Veggies. Also, Really, really watch the sugar-alcohols, they do stall weight loss.

I have 10lbs to go before I'll increase to 25 carbs per day.

BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 12:04 AM on May. 8, 2009