Baby isnt pooping at night...

My son is nine and a half weeks old. For some reason late at night and early in the morning he seems to have a really difficult time pooping. And most of the time he doesn't poop until a few hours after he's been awake. His belly isn't hard but he seems to be in a lot of pain when he's trying to poop. Is there anything I can do to help him poop more comfortably or just try to help him be in less pain than it seems like he is? Thanks gals.

crazedaffe

Asked by crazedaffe at 3:21 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you are exclusively breastfeeding, chances are your diet and your baby are both fine....when babies are breastfed, they can go days or even a week without pooping. If he's straining, it's b/c babies that young havent' gained full control over their internal sphincter muscles, so when they feel the urge to poop, they don't know how to release that muscle, so they just push and push and sometimes their face gets all red and everything......Im sure he is fine. As long as when he does poop, it's loose and seedy, he is fine....He's not constipated until it gets pelletlike and hard and sticky....I would NOT give him anything BUT Breastmilk, especially prunes or anything that might mess with his digestive tract and possibly give him diarrhea and get him dehydrated. He will be just fine. Good luck mama and congratulations!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:55 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Are you formula feeding or breastfeeding. For me I put a little extra water in Emma's formula to help her not become constipated. With formula they tend to get constipated. now I'm talking like alot of water just an 1/2 and ounce to a full ounce extra water is all.. just enough to fight constipation. Now with breastfeeding the gassy-ness could be something you ate that is affecting baby check your diet and see if that might be it. good luck hun
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 3:38 PM on May. 7, 2009

• If you are breastfeeding, look into your diet. If you are formula feeding your LO could potentially be intolerant to the type of formula. At nine weeks I gave my son some gas drops and that seemed to help.

That said do you have an advice line through either your doctor's office or insurance provider. I find this invaluable. Also pelase don't add any water to formula without confriming it with a doctor. It has too much potential for a negative outcome.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 4:09 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Breastfeeding. I have been watching what I eat. I stopped eating things like onions and garlic etc. I do still drink coffee but his doc said that shouldn't have an effect on him as long as I'm not drinking huge amounts a day. We have been supplementing formula every few days he will a bottle but that's it. Maybe I should find a formula that is free of iron? I'm just really concerned because it's every single night. Not matter what I eat or drink. I'm just really worried. First time mama here. :(
    crazedaffe

Answer by crazedaffe at 4:14 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY BABY I TOOK HIME TO THE DOCTOR AND THE DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT SOME CHILDREN HAVE DIFFERENT METHODS OF POOPING AND SOMETIMES IT WOULD TAKE THEM SOME DAYS TO POOP IF U ARE BREASTFEEDIN OR USING FORMULA. HE ALSO SAID THAT BY HELPING THE BABY PUSH WITH THE BABY'S LEGS WOULD SOMETIMES HELP THEM POOP.
    csantos

Answer by csantos at 4:18 PM on May. 7, 2009

• If you thinks hes backed up give him baby food thats prunes that will clean out his system and start fresh get a low iron formula maybe less baby food more milk/ formula.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 4:29 PM on May. 7, 2009