Daughter cutting hair

Perhaps I didn't make my self clear on the issue of my daughter cutting her hair which has been going on since she was 3. I might not be the brightest bulb in the box but I know enough to keep the scissors out of reach. DUH! When it became obvious that she would use anything, we began watching her every move. The last time, It stayed that way and we waited for it to grow out so we could have it professionally done. The salon was a reward for it being over six months since the last time she cut it. However, as some suggested so frankly that I should watch my child better, I thought I might point out that it happened at school this time. This is the first time she has cut it anywhere but home. Could this be a sign that because we were watching her she had to do it at school? Should I be concerned about supervision at school? Should I allow her to use scissors when supervised, or cut off the privilege all together?

mcsqrd

Asked by mcsqrd at 4:04 PM on May. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• OMG! YOU KNOW SHE IS JUST BEING HERSELF, PERHAPS HER HAIR BOTHERS HER OR IT MEAN SHE WANTS YOU GUYS TO PAY MORE ATTENTION,\...KIDS COME UP WITH JUST THE WEIRDEST THINGS.. DONT WORRRY SO MUCH OF YOUR PARENTING SKILLSUR DOING AS BEST AS YOU CAN
    brisa1984

Answer by brisa1984 at 4:10 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Just supervise her, don't take them away completely. Yes, you should be somewhat concerned about it at school too.

Anonymous

• Cut the child's hair for pete's sake. She obviously wants a haircut if she is resorting to sneak cutting it in school.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:24 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I have to say that my daughter enjoys chopping off her hair as well! She's been doing it for a few years and every time it grows out she finds the scissors and snips. I try not to take it too serious because hell, it's her hair and when people start making fun of her for looking like an idiot than it'll most likely wear off. I've actually discussed the possibility of her becoming a beautician when she gets older and thought of buying her one of those dummy heads they use for her to cut hair. It could be your daughter just enjoys cutting things, mine certaintly does. Don't ban the scissors, make a consequence.. if she cuts her hair without your approval than she loses something special to her. (try telling her that you want her to ask you if she feels like she wants to cut her hair and that you'll consider it or maybe take her to the salon)
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 10:34 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Read books about haircuts (which sets the tone for letting her see that the characters in the book let a beautician do it) and encourage her to grow her hair out by getting a new hairbursh/hairbow/clips etc. Go out of of your way to tell her how pretty her hair now that she is not cutting it..  You can see the books/hairbrushes (there are some really cute ones!) and other hair stuff here. http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=10

momjs

Answer by momjs at 12:20 AM on May. 8, 2009