Hard time deciding, I need opinions on peditricians.

Okay so the story goes....my 16month old son's previous peditrian was an ass. He would rush us with our questions, give us only answers like "he's fine, its normal" and he judged me for letting my son co-sleep and blamed all my son's problems ON co-sleeping. Well his office and staff are very nice and well put together. We switched doctors and went to the new one today. The doctor was wonderful and she listened to everything we had to say and even more! She got to know our family. BUT the staff was confused and unorganized files were stacked everywhere and they didnt have two waiting rooms one sick and one well..the waiting room was tiny and people are just so nasty now-a-days..what doctor do I choose? I'm concerned with my son's files getting lost or information being stolen at the new place but the old place I am concerned with my son's needs not ever being met.

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:04 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• its a toss up i would bring your concerns up with the new pedi maybe they just are redoing everything. She seems to understanding wouldnt hurt.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 4:11 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Well I never heard or saw of 2 different waiting rooms for sick and non. It's out there regardless of where you are at and if you like that DR., stay or find one that truly meets your needs.

Anonymous

• 2 waiting rooms? WOW! Never heard of that either! Well, sounds like you merely had a difference of opinion with you first pediatrician, not that he/she was doing a bad job. I'd stay with that one.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:17 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Very few drs have sick and well waiting rooms because nobody would ever want to use the sick one. Your best bet is to find a dr that schedules the visits at different times. Our pedi sees babies first thing then tries to do sick kids in the morning and well child visits in the afternoon.

It's curious but I've found that offices either have good medical staff and sucky office staff or vice versa. Personally I'd rather deal with the sucky office staff and get the good dr. Our pedi is excellent but one of the others in the practice was quite awful. We got him once for a sick visit; took DS in with a stomach bug thinking it might be rotavirus and he said he thought it was cystic fibrosis! He has since retired. Bad receptionist I can deal with. Bad doctors are not good for kiddo or mommy!
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:22 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I'd suggest you interview doctors until you find one that respects your parenting choices. Set up appointments and ask the appropriate questions. If necessary, leave a message and ask for a phone interview. If you still can't find a doctor who respects your wishes, see a family doctor.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 4:22 PM on May. 7, 2009

• We had two waiting rooms at our old pediatrician but not our new one. I would personally go with the second one or keep looking. It makes a HUGE difference when you can trust your doctor and when the doctor acutally makes an effort to get to know YOUR son personally.
    We had to look for awhile after we moved and found a great new pediatrician. Her office is small and there is only one waiting room but it is well worth it. Maybe the other staff was just having an "off" day and it will be different once they get to know you?
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 4:26 PM on May. 7, 2009

• another thing that I find important is a Doctor's office that gives you room to parent your kids. It is really none of their concern where your son sleeps. It is your decision. I have never had to explain my sons sleeping habits (other than the usual "Is he getting 10-12 hours a night?") question.
    One Dr. we interveiwed asked me why I chose to skip the Hep B vaccine and I thought that she was out of line. I obviously wouldn't make that decision without researching it. UGH.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 4:30 PM on May. 7, 2009

• It's probably not that the pediatrician was judging the cosleeping, he was probably telling her the risks and she got butt hurt.
    Anonymous

• Doctors don't judge, they have better things to do. Like take care of sick kids. He was probably counseling you.
    Anonymous

• okay last two anons! I was asking opinion on what doctor to choose not what you thought was going on with the co-sleeping situation between that doctor and I. Yeah I got butt hurt cause he had no right to tell me I was being a bad mother for letting him co-sleep nobody not even that doctor knows my reasons behind co-sleeping. My son slept in a bassinet for the first six months. Then he co-slept.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:46 PM on May. 7, 2009