What should I do about my daughter taking nude pictures of her self?

My daughter is 18, she lives at home, she graduates this May. She starts college this fall. Her dad and I support her. She has a boy friend who I can't stand, who lives 2 hours a way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• You can tell her you don't approve of it anjd explain that if these pictures end up on the internet they will never go away. But it is ultimately her decision.As for the boyfriend, it's yoru house, don't let him in it.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 4:29 PM on May. 7, 2009

• wtf? I guess tell her when she graduates she's out!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:30 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Take her phone away. the research on line some horror stories of things that have happened to other girls just like her. If all of the above doesnt work take a nude pix of ur self and put it on as her her background. see what she says about that.

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 4:34 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I suppose it depends on who is paying for the phone and computer, assuming she is posting them. If you are then take them away. If not all you can do is express your displeasure about it.
    Anonymous

• She's an adult. She has to learn from her mistakes and realize there is consequences. She'll learn.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 4:39 PM on May. 7, 2009

• tell her that when she does sexting or posts pix online of herself the world can see them. If she continues just tell her to not get her face in the picture.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:47 PM on May. 7, 2009

• She's 18... You have the option to tell her to leave, pay for the stuff (phone, internet...) or deal with it... Those are YOUR only choices. She's 18, you have no legal right to stop her.

Personally, I don't see a big deal here... She's an adult. Not a child!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:21 PM on May. 7, 2009

• i turned 18 in the beginning of my senior year of high school. i had to abide by my normal rules until after i graduated high school. then i was allowed more freedom. to me, she is under your roof still and still in high school thus you are taking some responsibility for her.

as other said, research horror stories or even just show her how it comes back eventually. tell her that if she wants to take these photos they should remain private and not on phones or computers. but you have to give her good reasons. she may not listen and you may not have a lot of disciplinary allowance as many people say she is an adult, but depending on how your house runs, take some action.

good luck. she will do what she wants, the best thing you can do is give her guidance and remind her that even if you dont approve of this action, you love her and support her.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:42 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Everyones advice is excellent, as for the phone, internet, if you pay for it, take it away. Except that being 18 does not mean your and adult by maturity. Some of us were more mature than our friends were remember? This is a very informative article for all parents to read

http://harvardmagazine.com/2008/09/the-teen-brain.html
    Winetuscany

Answer by Winetuscany at 4:40 AM on May. 8, 2009

• She's 18, not much you can do. Maybe blow it up and hang it up in her room so she sees how silly it is ore feel embarased that you know she's doing it.
    Anonymous