is 17 months to early

to start potty training?

hopenalivia

Asked by hopenalivia at 4:30 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• nope
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 4:31 PM on May. 7, 2009

• not if your kid seems ready...don't expect it to happen, but it is definitely a good time to start and see if he/she is interested. Who knows your kid may pick it up quickly...
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 4:33 PM on May. 7, 2009

• for my child, yes it would have been too early. He is 19 months now and no where near being ready! LOL!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 4:45 PM on May. 7, 2009

• If they seem ready- you can try. But some kids are not physically ready at that age- even if they are mentally. Some of them cannot physically control their pee and poop at that age. So you can try it and see- but don't be too hard on the little one if it doesn't work!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 5:16 PM on May. 7, 2009

• It really depends on the child. If the child shows interest its generally a good idea now, but take time and make it fun. I think there are kids movies you can get to show them. My son josh liked training early, he could use the bathroom like his dad. The only problem we had was Josh was afraid to sit on the toilet to have a bowel movement. I fixed that by turning him backwards on the toilet and gave him some toys to play with. I worked like a charm! good luck to you and your little one.
    Christy626

Answer by Christy626 at 8:13 PM on May. 7, 2009

• depends. is your child hiding to go pee or poop, is he or she asking to go to the potty??? my daughter is 17 months old and I don't feel she's ready yet.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:24 AM on May. 8, 2009