What do you think about The Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors, or DREAM?

The Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors, or DREAM, provision in the immigration bill was expected to help boost military recruiting, Bill Carr, acting deputy undersecretary of defense for military personnel policy, said during a telephone conference with veterans’ group representatives.

The DREAM provision offered a way for high-achieving children of undocumented or illegal residents to join the military and, ultimately, become citizens, Carr explained.

“In other words, if you had come across (the border) with your parents, yet you were a minor child and have been in the U.S. school system for a number of years, then you could be eligible to enlist,” he said. “And at the end of that enlistment, then you would be eligible to become a citizen.”

“we are not sure if the Congress would be interested in resurrecting that segment of the bill.”

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• WOW Anon 7:43... Ignorant much? My husband is in the military and I an VERY proud of him. Being in the military is NOT an automatic death sentence. To think that just proves how uneducated you are. You should be thankful that there are people willing to make that sacrifice instead of spouting your blatant ignorance.

For the matter at hand, for those who dont know, there are already lot of immigrants int he military working towards their citizenship. The ship my husband is on currently has had several swearing in citizenship ceremonies. If a person is willing to fight for this country, I have no issues with their becoming citizens. Its people who sit
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 7:49 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I think this is a great idea.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 5:15 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I DON'T think this was what MLK had in mind with his "I have a DREAM" speech!!!
    Anonymous

• Sounds like a nightmare to me! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:30 PM on May. 7, 2009

• wikipedia The Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act (The "DREAM Act") is a piece of proposed federal legislation that was introduced in the US Senate, and the US House of Representatives in March 26, 2009. This bill would provide certain immigrant students who graduate from US high schools, are of good moral character, arrived in the US as children, and have been in the country continuously for at least five years prior to the bill's enactment, the opportunity to earn conditional permanent residency. The students will obtain temporary residency for a lapse of six years. Within the six year period, a qualified student must attend college, and earn a two year degree, or serve in the military for two years in order to earn citizenship after the six years period. (continue below)
    Anonymous

• continue: If student does not comply with either his/her college requirement or military service requirement, temporary residency will be taken away and student will be subjected to deportation.
    Anonymous

• Anon 5:34PM
    Like I said, it sounds like a nightmare to me!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:35 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Answered at 4:30 PM on May. 7, 2009 by: LoriKeet Sounds like a nightmare to me! LOL :o)

LOL, Lori. You said exactly what I was thinking.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:47 PM on May. 7, 2009

• If it's too good to be true??? I'm just sayin'...
    There's bound to be a catch somewhere, kwim?
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 5:50 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I don't know why the government would want to recruit non-citizens. What I know is that there is a decrease on numbers when it comes to girls and boys to enlist in the military. Families are not letting their kids taken away. Last time a visited LI in NY I would never forget all the yellow ribbons I saw.
    Anonymous