Is masturbation normal? in toddlers

my 3 year old daughter has been touching her vagina frequently , and I began to worry...being a psychology major I know that , this type of behavior at an early age is sometimes/ not always linked to child sexual abuse.. I took my daughter to see a pediatrician, and the dr. told me it was normal! because she is exploring her body..as mothers do you believe I should worry?

psychobilly_mom

Asked by psychobilly_mom at 5:27 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Most little kids go through this phase. I know I did when I was little and I worked at a daycare and the 2nd I would take off the kids diapers, down their hands went. She is just exploring her body and as long as she knows that is not okay in front of other people, its natural for her to be curious in private. I have heard you only need to worry about sexual abuse when the child tries sticking things up their vagina or rectum. Although she might touch around that area, they don't understand that things can go inside unless they've been shown that. That's what I've heard is the sign of possible sexual abuse.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:53 PM on May. 7, 2009

• She does not think "I'm going to masterbate." She is curious and it feels good to her I'm sure. I don' t think she gets off on it. She just does not know better
    Anonymous

• no you shouldn't worry,and it's not called masturbation when it's from a toddler the Dr. is right she's exploring, she discovered a new part of her body that maybe looks different to her?
    Anonymous

• Its just like little boys. They are going to explore and touch. You do not need to tell her NO you not allowed to do it. Sit her down tell her i know you like it or use what ever words you want but to tell her you do that alone in your room, or that bathroom. Not around anyone. And please do not talk about it to anyone.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 5:32 PM on May. 7, 2009

• My son got this HUGE bunny for Easter when he was 3. He used to "wrestle" with it all the time. He and Daddy would wrestle sometimes and when he was missing Daddy when he was work, he would pretend with the bunny since it was the biggest thing he had. Well at some point during this proceeding, he realized that when he got into a certain position with this bunny it felt good. So yeah, he pretty much humped a bunny. I know that's crude, but that is the only way I can describe it. He knew it felt good, so he did it. It wasn't sexual or even emotional. Just pure "feel good". The same goes for your daughter. Unless she is showing other symptoms of abuse, don't worry. Have the private vs public touching/behavior/conversation talk frequently so that she learns the difference. Soon, the novelty will wear off and she will start doing other things that make you nervous, like trying to fly from the couch to the coffee table.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:35 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Both my sons (go figure) have gone through this, I do believe it's totally normal.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:21 PM on May. 7, 2009

• My daughter is 17 months and she 'plays' with herself at every opportunity. My son not until age 2.5 I think it is a normal phase that most kids go through at one point or another. Just make sure she knows that it is private and no one should see or under her underwear except mom or dad other trusted grown ups and that if anyone tries to for her to tell them no and come find you and tell you right away. I really wouldn't worry about it at this point though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:36 PM on May. 7, 2009

• very normal, they're just either exploring, or have realized it feels good so they keep doing it. don't worry :)
    Kersten

Answer by Kersten at 11:13 PM on May. 7, 2009

• my son kinda plays w/ his every now and then they dont know any better
    Amanda2430

Answer by Amanda2430 at 12:12 AM on May. 8, 2009

• My daughter does the same thing it's normal. And so does my 3years old son, and my 1 1/2 year old son. Hopefully they will out grow it soon!
    PcillaCoronado

Answer by PcillaCoronado at 3:02 AM on May. 8, 2009