how do you tell your kids you might die or are dying?

seriously been racking my brain on how to explain this to them. have stage 3 pancreatic cancer

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Health

• Oh my,

a friend of mine died from breast cancer at 35. She left her children a set of personal vidoes from her. To be viewed at certain ages.

Other than that...I am sorry......
    Anonymous

• Oh my. I am so sorry. All you can do is to sit down with them and tell them. Be calm, and be prepared to answer questions. When you make your announcement, you should follow it immediately with information about how their lives will change and what steps you have taken to help them should you not be around. They need to know how this will affect their lives now and in the future. Remind them that you'll always love them. If you need their help with anything- day to day life or housekeeping or whatever ( you don't say how old they are) then tell them.

Answer by Bmat at 5:31 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I am so sorry. Just tell them that you are very sick and that you may be going to heaven to watch over them. Do video diaries for them!!!!
    Anonymous

• My heart goes out to you and your family. Contact Gilda's Club or another organization that provides support for families of cancer patients. If you belong to a church, mosque, or synagogue, a religious leader may also be able to provide support. The hospital chaplain may be another option.
    Stage 3 is not stage 4. Reseach the hell out of your disease and fight it as if you are fighting for the lives of your children.
    Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 5:45 PM on May. 7, 2009

• aww this is sad im sorry you have to go through this.
    Anonymous

• DO NOT say you are sick! This sends the message to children that anyone who gets sick will die! You need to explain its a disease and not everyone gets it etc. There are many books on this subject that you can read. I recently found out someone very close to my kids has cancer and I asked my sons therapist about it and these were some of the things she suggested. You shouldnt go into too much detail right away either, as things change or show up then you can explain things as you go. And I am very sorry you have to deal with this
    Anne.Marie

Answer by Anne.Marie at 7:00 PM on May. 7, 2009