In case I have a boy! circumcision

How did you decide to circumcise your baby boy or not?

rjacob2008

Asked by rjacob2008 at 5:33 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Btw...if you haven't spoken with your pediatrician yet this would be a good question to pose to them as well. They have seen both sides of the fence so to speak...
    JenAndCian

Answer by JenAndCian at 5:43 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Most people just do what the dad is. This is a touchy subject. Some mom's want their boys to be natural, and some say it's nasty and gets dirty when you leave it alone. I think it looks "nicer" when it's cut. i think it's about 70% do and 30% dont. It's really up to you. But it's something you need to decide while he's there, DO NOT wait, and take him back weeks later. That is cruel.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:38 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Cian's father and I decided that a circumcision wasn't necessary, either for health or religious reasons. We plan on properly teaching our little man how to care for himself. There are several reasons to and not to circumsise. Best thing to do is sit down and go through a pro and con list and see how many of the cons would be doable with a little work.

The only con on our list that concerned us was the increased risk of urinary tract infections, but that's easily kept in check with proper cleaning practices. So far we haven't had a one.
    JenAndCian

Answer by JenAndCian at 5:41 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Mine is purely selfish. I dont like the look of uncircumcised penis. i dont worry about the hygeine factor, im sure you can keep it clean, but my baby will be circumcised.
    Rngrad_2006

Answer by Rngrad_2006 at 5:46 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Just so you know...it's not cruel to take him back later....as a matter of fact probably 50% of babies have to be taken back to have it redone after the pediatrician messed it up....and they feel every bit of it when the pedi does it!! Make SURE you go to a pediatric urologist. you can have your PCP recommend a good one. They are the only ones that should be touching that thing anyway. don't just let anyone cut at it. and when they are a few months old, they use PLENTY of numbing medicine so they don't feel anything and they wake up from very light anesthesia and don't feel or remember a thing....that's the same as saying, get her ears peirced while she's really young, she won't remember....that doesn't mean it won't hurt like a son of a bitch!!

Whatever you decide, do it because it's what you want to do for your son, NOT b/c of some "statistics or opinions" of someone on this website or anyone for that matter.
    Anonymous

• I did some research on my own and came to a decision based on that. I read the actual studies, not an article on a study. I did not read anything from a biased website and I did not ask the opinions of others on a website.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:54 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Although their are not any significant pros or cons of each there are SOME differences in the health and hygiene of circumsized vs. uncircumsized boys.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/circumcision/PR00040

This is a good place to start. I am having a baby boy in August and I will be having him circumsized. It all just depends on what you and your husband choose. Either one is completely acceptable.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:00 PM on May. 7, 2009

• We didn't because it's not needed and is only cosmetic.
    As far as getting dirty or increasing UTI... not anymore than a girl is she didn't clean herself... and you wouldn't cut off her labia, right??
    I've also helped DO circs on postpartum and didn't want my son to have to go through that (I've seen some really messed up ones!)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:12 PM on May. 7, 2009

• My boys are circumsized per husbands requests.. No reasons why...
    crystalpowell

Answer by crystalpowell at 6:39 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I was always pro-choice on the circumcision subject...until I watched the YouTube video of circumcision hosted by Penn and Teller. This is the link to part 1 of the video series, there is a part 2 if you want do watch it.      

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIZLna_uzLQ          After watching that, I would really have a hard time circumcising if I had a son. I have a few male European friends who are uncircumcised, and they are just fine with it. Watch the video and make up your own mind.      WARNING: THE VIDEO IS VERY EXPLICIT

Anonymous