Would you/Have you ever shave your head?

Why did you do it? How did your family react. And did you care?

Nathskitten

Asked by Nathskitten at 5:40 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have done it three times. I have also hacked it into a short pixie cut twice. All 5 times, my hair was at least half down my back. The first time, I was 13. A friend of mine joked with her older sister who was cutting her hair to just shave it all off. The sister took it seriously. I didn't want her to feel singled out, so I shaved my head. Then the next time I was 17 and had been with my husband (then boyfriend) about 9 months. He had said that he didn't believe that I had shaved my head, no girl would do that. So I did it again....right before a date. And the last time I was 19. I think that time I did it to piss off my MIL. All three times, my family couldn't care less. The last two times, his family freaked. My MIL was telling me how stupid I had been to shave my head and that it was ridiculous that I thought that was cute. So I did it the third time. Hey, I wasn't hurting anyone, so screw them. I did what I wanted!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:47 PM on May. 7, 2009

• No Way!!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:48 PM on May. 7, 2009

• No, although Ive thought of it a few times.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:49 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I did when I was 19. My family was OUTRAGED...to say the least. I think it is because they never thought I would do it. I had been saying for a long time that I was going to. I like bald heads!

MY DH loved it, we attracted a lot of stares because he had long hair and mine was shaved. lol

I would like to do it again but now that I have kids I wouldn't want them to be embarrassed, so I won't.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:54 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I saw a very short hairstyle I liked, so the beautician got busy cutting and it turned out my hair stood on end instead of laying down like the picture. I knew when I was told, " Well, it will grow out," as she tried in vain to tug at the half inch of hair she left me with.

At the time, I had a tail down my back, and Annie Lenox was popular, hey..it was the 80's, what can I say?

I have to admit that I loved it, it was as close to a shave as if clippers had been used on me. I worked outside that summer and man! It was so nice! My family didnt say anything, they had already seen my other wild hair do's.
    pinkcalla721

Answer by pinkcalla721 at 5:56 PM on May. 7, 2009

• i was very close to a shaved head a few years ago, after cutting off my dreads
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:56 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Not unless I had cancer, or if I had to do it to save someone's life.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 5:59 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I *wish* I could do that! I've never done it and probably never would though because I have a skin condition that I try to hide with my long hair. Unless it goes away there is no purposely short hair or shaved head in my future!
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 6:12 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I full-on bic'd my head when I was 16. I had just gone through some nasty nasty times with a mean boy, and didn't want to look attractive in any way. Also, I had been dying my hair a lot of colors it was really fried at that point, so there was a bonus - having nice hair again when it grew in.

To be fair, I looked really butch and scary. I don't have the dainty bone structure you need to pull that one off.

My mom didn't really care, but my step-mom freaked.
    guitarlove

Answer by guitarlove at 6:38 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I havent, but if I had a child or a close friend that was going through chemo or something, I would shave my head for them if they lost their hair.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 6:47 PM on May. 7, 2009