What's the difference between a Denomination and Religion?

My dh brought something new to the table according to his last discovery I should say that my "Denomination" is Catholicism.

What is this all about? please help so I can debate with my dh! thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Your religion IS Catholicism. People understand that Catholicism falls under the "umbrella" of Christianity and know what you're referring to when you say you're Catholic. Catholics and Protestants have had hard feelings in the past (green vs. orange on St. Patty's lol) and consider each other to be different religions despite the fact that we're all actually "Christians."

Protestants call their split from the Catholic church as being "Protesting the Catholic faith." When you hear it from a Catholic scholar's point of view, they often term is as a "rebellion" or "revolt" against the Catholic faith. How YOU refer to yourself and to others will come from the perspective of YOUR group. I think if you want an accurate answer from a Catholic POV, you ought to ask your priest.

When asked my religion on paper work, I put "Protestant."  When the question says "Relig/Denom" I put "Presbyterian" instead. 
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:09 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Different religions have different core beliefs. Different denominations have the same core beliefs but worship those beliefs differently.

I would tell your daughter that your religion is Christian and your denomination is Catholic.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 5:51 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Religion would be Christian, Muslim, Jewish, etc. Then within the religion there are denominations like Catholic, Anglican, Protestant, etc. Those would all be Christian religions, but different denomintations within the Christian religion.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:52 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Sort of like asking the difference between white bread, wheat, rye, etc. and bread, isn't it?

I think he is saying your denomination of Christianity is Catholic.

According to Wikipedia:

A religious denomination is a subgroup within a religion that operates under a common name, tradition and identity.

The term describes various Christian denominations (for example, Eastern Orthodox, Catholicism, and the many varieties of Protestantism or Restorationism). The term also describes the four branches of Judaism (Orthodox, Conservative, Reform and Reconstructionist), and describes the two main branches of Islam (Sunni and Shia).

In Hinduism, the major deity or philosophical belief identifies a denomination, which also typically has distinct cultural and religious practices. The major denominations include Shaivism, Shaktism, Vaishnavism, Smartism and Halumatha.

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 5:54 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Catholicism is a denomination of the christian religion. There are two types of Christians, prodestants and catholics. There are many different types of prodestants and the different types are their denomination. Like Baptist, Methodist, and Luterans, they are all christains and all prodestants, but different denominations.
    Anonymous

• My Core belief is "Christian" and I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses which is my Denom.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 5:55 PM on May. 7, 2009

• There are three branches of Christianity. Orthodox, Protestant and Catholic (some also include Anglican). They are not technically "denominations," so "Catholic" is your religion or the branch of Christianity that you follow. It isn't really a denomination. There are several hundred denominations that have split under the branches of Christianity, most of them are under the "Protestant" branch. Presbyterian and Methodist are to examples of what denominations are.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:57 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Thank you gals but what I still don't understand I have always use the term religion when it comes to Catholicism. Taking about ignorance. My dh dear husband was right!

OK now why when you have to fill out any legal document they never tell you what's your denomination...the papers usually say "religion" confusion, confusion.

So let me see If I understood...MY religion therefore is Christian ism WOW
    Anonymous

• OK now why when you have to fill out any legal document they never tell you what's your denomination...the papers usually say "religion" confusion, confusion.

It is easier to categorize people based on religion rather than denomination.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 6:04 PM on May. 7, 2009

Thank you...I think that I would have to take a course on Religion it gets to very interest. Thank you again.
    Anonymous