Grandbabies? Part 1: Gay vs. Straight & Infertile

This is in response to some of the answers to my "different race vs. same sex" question. Many women here answered that they would rather their child(ren) marry someone of a different race because they "wanted grandbabies" and gays can't have babies.

Well...

There are thousands of straight couples out there who are infertile and could screw like bunnies 24/7 and still never conceive a child. Should their marriages be dissolved because they can't make babies?

What about straight couples who choose not to have children? Should they be allowed to get married?

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 5:51 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think a consenting adult should be able to marry whoever they want and people should back off and let them live their life!!

Anonymous

• i agree with anon :53 there are plenty of gay people out there that could adopt and make way better parents then the biological ones.why cant people just mind there own damn business!!!!
    Anonymous

• I answered a question like that (not sure if it was yours) by saying that while I just want my kids to be happy, I also know that they would face more hardship as part of a gay couple (especially since I have boys), so if I had to choose I'd pick an inter racial marriage for them. I think that basing a marriage on the possiblity of having children is wrong. There are so many kids who need families, that to deny someone the chance to give a child a family because they are attracted to adults of the same sex is beyond wrong. It ends up punishing the child too. Sexual preference (aside from pedophiles) is not an indicator of what kind of parent someone will be. There are many, many straight couples who are terrible parents, but would have a better chance at adopting than a gay couple strictly because of their sexual orientation, and that is wrong.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 6:01 PM on May. 7, 2009

• i think that it would extremely hard for my kids if the married someone that is gay. being gay is hard enough doing it in public is even harder..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 6:17 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I saw a lot of people answer your question in a politically correct fashion "I'll love and respect my kid no matter what..."

Well, of course I'll love and respect my kid no matter what choices she makes.

But you asked what we wanted, and I do sincerely hope my daughter can have the experience I've had of being pregnant with the man of her dreams. It's a very special experience.

Now, I know that even in a straight relationship she may not be able to have kids, but it sure increases the chances...and I don't think there's anything wrong with acknowledging that.
    Anonymous