Are sunless tanners safe during pregnancy?

pink72princess

Asked by pink72princess at 6:14 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • I have used them before.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:16 PM on May. 7, 2009

• There have been no studies to prove or disprove that they are safe or unsafe, BUT sunless tanners usually only deal with the top layer of skin, so there isn't too much absorbtion that would get to the baby. I have had spray tans while being pregnant and know many people that have used sunless tanners and have perfectly healthy children. To date there has been no birth defect or child death related to the use of sunless tanners during pregnancy so in my opinion until they can tell me otherwise, it's safe.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:17 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I recently asked my dr this and she said there is no harm in sunless tanners!!!
    longonevs

Answer by longonevs at 7:44 PM on May. 7, 2009

• yup they are fine!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 8:12 PM on May. 7, 2009

• i was told differently. My doc said they are NOT safe. There's a chemical in the ingredients that will go right to the baby... pregnant or breastfeeding. There might be an all natural tanning product out there.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:09 AM on May. 8, 2009

• my dr said that only the first layer of skin absorbs the product and the baby is protected. now i am wondering what is the truth?
    longonevs

Answer by longonevs at 8:03 AM on May. 8, 2009