Is my daughter lactose and tolerant?

My 13 month old daughter just now started drinking milk.....she has been drinking next step for the past two months cause she thought the milk was too cold...lol...now since she has been drinking it for a week I have noticed that every time she has a dirty diaper(poop) it is diarrhea. Does this mean she is lactose intolerant is could it be something else?

April1982

Asked by April1982 at 6:26 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Health

• It could just be her system adjusting to the milk proteins. I have given my daughter milk a couple of times now, and each time she has the runs, but thats it, no other gassy tummy, visible outbreak, no fussiness or anything, so I chalk it up to her system adjusting.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:42 PM on May. 7, 2009

• There is absolutely no reason to give her milk (unless she is a baby cow). She should be drinking lots of water (no juice, either). There are better, plant based sources of calcium, like beans and leafy green vegetables, more information here: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html
    Great sources of good fats for babies growing brains include avocado, egg yolks, flax oil.
    Super Baby Food is a great book on feeding babies and toddler, you should be able to find it at your local library; more information at www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 7:29 PM on May. 7, 2009