i just had abnormal blood test results......

the dr called me about the results for my triple screen test i had done and it showed that i am possibly carrying a child with downsyndrome and i am scheduled to see a specialist in a few days to determine the truth. however a lot of people my mom has talked to has been through the same thing and have healthy children. CAN ANYONE RELATE?

tifani_09

Asked by tifani_09 at 6:42 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I've noticed (with friends and family members as well) that the tests are often false positives and that many women opt to not even get the tests done because of this. My Aunt (over 35) tested positive with both of her daughters- both were born perfectly fine and are developing perfectly fine. A friend of mine (31) also tested positive and her baby was fine as well. My Mother opted out of the test with my youngest brother (she was 38) because of the false positives my Aunt got. I cannot give you much more information other than that, really. I don't know the ups and downs of the testing aside from a high false positive rate. Good Luck, hopefully you get lots of answers.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 6:50 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I was preg. with our 3rd baby when I was 41. I had some tests and they came back pos for a high probability of a defect with chromosome 18 or 19 (can't remember) We were referred to a high risk specialist who said this defect is not compatible with survival, meaning, if this defect was present, our son would die in utero or shortly after birth. He wanted to do an amnio right then. We opted to wait, because we knew there is a small risk of miscarriage following an amnio, and if they were wrong and he was gonna be fine we didn't think it was worth the risk. The results were wrong and Micah was perfect. You do not have to have ANY of the tests they offer to you! They are wrong more than right and only cause a lot of stress and unnecessary worry. What's gonna be will be. We opted out of having any further testing with that pregnancy as well as my 4th pregnancy which followed shortly after the 3rd. Best Wishes to you!!

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 6:56 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I had an abnormal test w/ the baby I am currently pregnant w/. I had an amnio done and all is good w/ her. This tests comes back more often w/ abnormalities. I wouldn't stress too much over it. If I would've known this I wouldn't have had the test done. I stressed over it so much until I did more research on it and saw how common this is, and began to relax. Good luck to you!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 7:27 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I opted not to have these tests because of the high false positive rate. I figured it wouldn't be worth me worrying over it so much just to be told my child was fine. I have heard MANY MANY people have had the same issue as you, only to be told weeks later, or at birth, that their child is fine. There have also been people who have had the tests, been told their child was fine, and then when the baby was born it had Downs. So I'm not sure I completely trust the accuracy of these tests. I wouldn't worry. But if he/she does have Down Syndrome, just realize that God never gives people more than they can handle.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 7:28 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Hi.. Before you freak out wait to go talk to the specialist.. Had a very high test result for downs also.. They said I had a 1 in 10 chance to have a downs baby.. My daughter was fine.. Small but no downs.. So before you go and freak out, calm down and go talk to the doctors that know.. My girlfriend had a high test result also but not as high as mine but still her baby was fine too..
    The test really does have a high false positive test result..
    I wish you all the best.. Let us know how things turn out.. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.. I know how scary it can be...
    Halsmommy

Answer by Halsmommy at 12:33 PM on May. 8, 2009