my 14 month old son keeps trying to unplug things!

we have all the safety plugs to keep him from sticking things in the empty sockets, but what do i do about my son trying to unplug things? he trys it over and over and we always see him trying and ive shouted to scare him, swatted his hand, put him in time out, explained to him ouchie, but my fear is that he will try to unplug his light in his room when im not in there. any ideas?

disheveled

Asked by disheveled at 6:45 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I hide the plugged in lights behind a dresser. Otherwise I pop the hand. Sorry, but a spank on the hand is not as bad as a fried toddler.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:48 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Ok I don't hide the actual light behind the dresser, but I have the dresser in front of the outlet that the light is plugged into.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:49 PM on May. 7, 2009

• his dresser is in his closet (its a small room) and i tried to hide the outlet behind a pile of stuffed animals but he has since discovered it. =(
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 6:54 PM on May. 7, 2009

• He needs to learn the meaning of no. The next time he does this, tell him that his (insert favorite object here) will go in the closet. Make sure he sees the thing go into the closet and see the door close. Set a timer for 5 minutes. Remember, you cannot completely babyproof your home and you cannot leave a toddler unsupervised.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:57 PM on May. 7, 2009