Why is my cat getting fat?

She's always been really tiny. I got her when she was about 5 weeks old. She wasn't being taken care of and the vet actually said it might be better to put her down. She weighed less than a pound! She's 2 1/2 years old now and until 3 months ago, weighed about 7 lbs. I had her fixed 3 months ago. I knew she'd gain some weight, but I'm getting her weight at about 9 lbs. now. Is this a problem? Should I take her in to the vet (I'm really super broke)? I don't think she's really eating any more than she was before...

sparrowprincess

Asked by sparrowprincess at 6:54 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Pets

• This site has a list of different breeds of cats and their low, average and high weight.

http://www.pictures-of-cats.org/largest-domestic-cat-breed.html

Anonymous

• I wouldnt worry! I have had my cat for 3 years now and got him fixed last year and he gained so much weight and he is doing just fine. I think it is just something that happens when they get fixed
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 7:01 PM on May. 7, 2009

• My female cat gained a lot of weight after we got her fixed. The problem with overweight cats is they start to lose control of their bowels, and our cat was actually dripping poo when she got out of the litter box. We put all our cats on a feeding schedule, and cut back on her food and it helped a lot. The feeding charts on most pet foods are usually wrong and tell you to feed more than your pet needs.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 7:28 PM on May. 7, 2009

• As long as she is healthy, I wouldn't worry too much. You might try cutting back slightly on her daily food, and make sure she is getting the appropriate food for her age (ie no kitten chow). Good luck with your kitty, and congratulations on raising her after such a rough start!!
    grahamom

Answer by grahamom at 7:48 PM on May. 7, 2009

• is it at all possible your cat is finding food other places?? like neighbors houses or something?? i know here, if i leave my dogs food out overnight i will catch the neighbors cats eating it..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:05 AM on May. 8, 2009

• because you got her fixed it is normal for them to gain weight at that time. i would guess the lack of hormones
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:48 AM on May. 8, 2009

• My kitty weighs 9 lbs. They are strictly indoors.....is your cat inside?? it could be lack of exercise. Get some catnip!! itll liven her up and it's hilarious to watch them play=)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:20 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Our cat is very overweight. We have always fed dry food that we just let sit out all the time, and we have never had a cat overweight like this. It isn't as simple as putting the food away, because we have an elderly cat who is very thin and who has a history of being starved by his previous owner, so he is very nervous about there being food all the time. I don't know what to do. I have been letting the bowls go empty now, but the elderly cat is nervous, and when I put food in the dishes, the chubby cat digs in. I suspect hormonal, maybe thyroid imbalance. The vet told us to cut back on the food.

Answer by Bmat at 4:25 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I went by the vet today. He said cats only require half the food after they get fixed than what they needed before. He said to take away her all you can eat buffet and start feeding at regular times and only certain amounts. Eventually she'll get used to it and quit crying.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 9:22 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Find all you need to know about cat fat and cat diseases information at http://www.catwebsite.org/cat-diseases.htm

konary

Answer by konary at 8:08 PM on May. 18, 2009