Today is National Day of Prayer day...

This is both a Politics/Current Events and Religion post. Do you think it's appropriate for the Government to proclaim a National Day of Prayer? Do Christians or any other religion feel its necessary to have one day set apart and proclaimed a day to pray?

How appropriate do you think praying for materialistic things is? Last year we had a large group of people gather at a gas station to pray for God to lower gas prices. Today we had a large group of people gather outside a UAW hall to pray for GM and Chrysler for them to get through their financial crisis and call employees back to work. Personally, I think praying for such things is terrible. Isn't there something more humble that these people could pray for than that, like for the families to be safe, for their health, for them to not be hungry or just for God's devine protection during their time of struggle?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I pray everyday but I don't see the harm in this day it isn't just for one specific group of beliefs.

As to your second question those two particular things you say these groups were praying for isn't it the same basically as praying for food in their bellies and health and such? idk I see it the same
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:05 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I know... God forbid we have a National Day of Prayer... something our country is in desperate need of... but let's have a National Islam Day and celebrate their victory of Sept. 11th!

This is exactly what's wrong with our country!!!

Anonymous

• It's the National Day of Reason for those who aren't into praying.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 7:06 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Seriously what is wrong with having a prayer day? We celebrate Haunakka (sp?) not eveone is jewish, we celebrate valentines day not everyone is in love, we celebrate st. patricks day - not everyone is Irish, we celebrate the 4th of July yet not everyone who lives here is from here. Just because you don't believe something should't exist doesn't mean that it shouldn't if you don't believe in it then don't celebrate it it's as simple as that.

As far as the prayers go to help gm and chystler through their financial problems I don't see anything wrong with that. Those companies have a lot of people that work for them that need to feed their family, the better the business goes the more the employees can provide for their families.

I don't know I guess you and I just see things in a whole different light
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 7:06 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I wasn't saying that I didn't believe in prayer. What I was asking is if it is appropriate for our Government to proclaim a special day for it. BTW, a proclaimed day is different than a religious holiday. However, those too have been given a legal status for celebration by our Government.

You will recall that it was largely for economic (and political) reasons that the Jewish leadership rejected Jesus as their Messiah (cf. John 11:47-48). We are told that it was the high priest who actually owned the business venture operating within the temple precincts. For the Jew the pursuit of financial gain and the practice of righteousness were thought to be synonymous. Our Lord said they were antithetical. One must serve either God or money. One will ultimately become your master, the other your slave. They used ‘religion’ to further their own personal and economic interests.
    Anonymous

• Anon 7:06 what are you even talking about???

"But let's have a National Islam Day and celebrate their victory of Sept. 11th!"

Nobody said that and it's offensive and disgusting that you insinuated that any American feels that way.

I think praying that hurting families can return to work is a humble goal. Maybe the gas prices thing was a little weird, but I won't tell anyone how they should pray or what to pray for.

Although I did think it was weird when Pat Roberts would pray that Supreme Court Justices would die during the Bush administration... I don't think you're supposed to pray for people to die...
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:28 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Meh, I really don't care. As long as I'm not forced to pray and it's all inclusive not specific to one religion it doesn't bother me.

National Islam day? What are you dense, anon? No such thing.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 7:43 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Yes, there is a question posted today about Islam Day. It is supposed to be to celebrate the accomplishments and contributions that "Islam" has provided. But, I think they idiots got the whole thing wrong. Islam is the religion. Arab is the people and so it should be Arabic. There were indeed many Muslims who have contributed throughout history to science and mathematics, who without their contributions we would not have gained such knowledge
    Anonymous

• It is not appropriate for the Government to be involved. The US is a secular state and should avoid endorsing particular religous practices. It is true that most national holidays are based on christian celebratory events but remember this is tradition going back centuries and many of them were in any case adapted by the early chriistians from Jewish and Pagan festivals.

As for Pat Roberts praying for somone's death, not very weird for him. He is nuttier than a fruitcake and seriouslly mentally challenged.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 7:57 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Its a celebration of parying, im not at all religious and i know that.

Its appropriate, just like mothers day, we celebrate mommies =)
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 8:04 PM on May. 7, 2009