Is it ok?

My one month old slept through the night the night before last and last night I let him cry for about 10 minutes before picking him up and feeding him. Do you think I'm being mean by letting him cry too long? He eats every three hours during the day so i'm not starving him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I do think he is a bit young to let cry at night, but I don't do this with my kids at all. This is just my personal opinion. At this young age, he was probably legitimately hungry when he woke. Will what you did this one time damage him? No. Should you do it again? I wouldn't.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:19 PM on May. 7, 2009

• 10 minutes seems like too long to me. The fear isnt starving him, its that you could damage his emotions and give him insecurities when it comes to you .
    Anonymous

• There's nothing wrong with letting your baby cry, a couple of minutes isn't going to hurt him. One month old IS too young to let him "cry-it-out" but babies cry! Don't feel like you're a "bad mom" just because you waited a couple minutes before picking him up.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 7:20 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I couldn't do it.

That's how my sister got my nephew to stop taking bottles at night. He now sleeps through.
    Anonymous

• Keep in mind that my nephew is over 1 year.
    Anonymous

• I completely agree with Annabel
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 7:27 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Letting a baby cry occasionally is not going to hurt him/her, but remember a few things: crying is a late sign of hunger especially in young infants, and at this early stage it is important to make sure he/she is secure and loved; also babies do not typically sleep through the night until they are around 7 weeks - some much later. No one can tell you what is right for every baby though, since every baby is different.
    grahamom

Answer by grahamom at 7:30 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't do it! He's a month old, he NEED's the nutrition at night as well as during the day. They are growing at such amazing rates at this stage of life and thier only source of nutrition is in liquid form and is processed pretty fast. Have you harmed your baby that one time...no. But I wouldn't make that the norm. Here is a great site I found on infant/toddler sleeping patterns..it's an interesting read and some parts are eye opening.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070200.asp
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:57 PM on May. 7, 2009

• no sometimes i let my son cry abit cuz sometimes he just falls back asleep, letting them cry on their own can give them independence too. if you know there not hungry or dont need a diaper change i dont see why its mean. if u pick them up everytime they cry right away they will know they can cry all the time cuz babies LOVE being held allllll the time, and that just cant happen, they have to be confident to be by themselves for a bit
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on May. 8, 2009