Soy formula...

I had to switch my son to soy formula due to belly issues and was wondering if it causes constipation or his belly is just trying to get used to the new formula. His pediatrition told me to put a teaspoon of dark karo syrup in every bottle and I have been for about three days and some poops are hard and some are soft. Is it ok to be giving him so much karo?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried similac sensitive? It is lactose free but milk based.

I think the karo syrup is fine, my ped told me the same thing with my son when he was a newborn.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 7:21 PM on May. 7, 2009

• It's corn based, and corn is a natural laxative, it shouldn't hurt him, especially if your doctor said its ok. I'd only do it about 1-2 weeks, which is usually long enough for their belly to adjust.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 7:22 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't worry unless they are consistently hard. He may just be adjusting to the new formula, but call the doc to put your mind completely at ease.
    grahamom

Answer by grahamom at 7:22 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Yep, you're fine. We did the same with soy and nutramigen. Don't worry at all.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:22 PM on May. 7, 2009