When does mother's day become a big deal?

I am mom to one, with one on the way, guardian to three, DD is 18 months and I could really give a hoot about mother's day. Will this change later?

mlregalado

Asked by mlregalado at 7:22 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Holidays

• My son is my gift every single day.
    Anonymous

• It just feels nice to feel appreciated at least once a year, having a whole day just for you. I think it will change when your little ones learn about it in school and bring you home a little plant or home made card.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 8:29 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I don't normally do anything special for Mother's Day. I still get up and do the cleaning and cooking ....
    I love the little gifts I get from my gs (8) that he makes in school, but outside of that dh and I and gs just have a normal Sunday as a family.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:01 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Yes, when your kids start realizing what it is about, and they start doing things for you or making you homemade presents for that day. Mine love to cook for me on Mother's Day, and they do any cleaning necessary without whining, and they try their hardest not to argue or fight with each other that day. When it starts to mean something to your kids, it will start to mean more to you.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:01 AM on May. 8, 2009

• not everyone celebrates it. Honestly to me to it's just another day. I don't like the fuss.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:12 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Don't know. My kids are almost 9, 7 1/2, 6 1/2 and 3 and it isn't a big deal to any of them. The only cards/gifts I get is whatever the kids bring home from school. My husband doesn't celebrate it so, not only do I NOT get anything but I'm responsible for making sure HIS mom gets something from him and the kids and that his sisters get something from the kids (don't always get for his sisters...depends on if we have the money).
    If I want something I would have to buy it for myself which defeats the point of the holiday. Oh, and usually I get to do all my normal chores...since it's on Sunday I get to do laundry all day. Happy Mother's Day to me.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:23 AM on May. 8, 2009

• It depends on your DH, IMO. If he makes a big deal about showing you you're appreciated, it becomes a big deal. The kids will follow his lead.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on May. 8, 2009

• My son is just 4 and in preschool. All week he has been working on presents for me. He has been saying "Happy Mothers' Day" and giving me extra hugs and kisses. That's a big deal for me! Oh, and a guarantee to get to sleep in, as much as the baby will allow. Mostly I think about my mother, of course, and if she were here we'd all make a big deal for her (she is a fabulous mother, much better than I am). I hate bought cards but calls and attention and homemade stuff are great! What more is it supposed to be than a homemade card, a craft and extra hugs? What mroe could we want?
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:49 AM on May. 8, 2009

• It's funny you ask. To me as a mother it's a big deal I take care of everything that has to do with the children. EVERYTHING! It's ok I don't think I would have it any other way. Towards my own mother Ihave a hard time with it because she wasn't a very good mother. I have come to realize she is what she is. She is they way she is because she was never mothered ( foster child) I feel 100% the opposite about my mother in law and anyday I can get away with doing anything for her without her complaining is a good day for me. Mother's day has an extra special meaning for me too because both my children were born on Mother's day weekend. May 11th 2001 and May 12th 2004. Hence my user name mothermayiam.
    mothermayiam

Answer by mothermayiam at 8:54 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I think it changes when they are old enough to make you stuff. It's those little things that make it such a big deal. My Mom called last night and my daughter wanted to tell her what she made me in school. It's a big surprise and she's told EVERYONE. I'm still out of the loop but I know it means a lot to her so I'm excited to see how excited she'll be when I open it :-)
    qtmomof2

Answer by qtmomof2 at 9:06 AM on May. 8, 2009