turning the carseat to face forward

at what age or weight can you turn the carseat around to face forward, im so scared about babies breaking there neck because of it..

em9x

Asked by em9x at 7:26 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Bare minimum is 1 year and 20 lbs, AAP recommends 2 years and MAX of carseat. Theres a new carseat Graco is coming out with Next month called the MyRide65 and it RFs to 40 lbs and FFs to 65lbs...

I have more info about carseats on my profile, including this journal
    http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1142060/Carseat_questions_Here_s_answers

and this video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmUWg7QrC8

I promise no sob stories or gruesome pics, just info and laws and crash tests with dummies...

Its up to every mom to decide what is right for your child, atleast follow the laws, but breaking necks is what happens when a child is turned FFing before they are ready

http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages/4209/Car_Seat_Safety:_Rear-facing_is_safest.htm
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:19 PM on May. 7, 2009

• 1year old AND 20lbs.

But you can leave baby rear facing as long as the seat will allow it (mine will allow rear-facing up to 35lbs and I plan on using it)
    Anonymous

• Not sure why that answered Anon, that was me.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:28 PM on May. 7, 2009

• It's supposed to be 1 year old AND 20 lbs. My son was turned around before that because he kicked his own car seat over numerous times.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 7:29 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Bare minimum is 12 mos AND 20 lbs. You can remain rear facing up until 35 lbs in most convertible seats, and I believe one is coming out that will rear face to 40 lbs. It's safest to keep them rear facing to the limit of the seat. AAP is now recommending that you keep your child rear facing until at least age 2, instead of age 1.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:29 PM on May. 7, 2009

• 1 year and 20 pounds, my son got turned around then and so will my dauter when she reaches that age. IMO I refuse to have my kids face backward and be cramped with their legs against the seat - this is my personal preferrence, I don't care what car seat laws other people choose to follow my own concern is my children and I do what I feel is best for them
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 7:31 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Annabell, that's scary! If you ever run into a problem like this again (not sure if you plan on having more kids) take that seat to a certified tech for proper installation! I'm glad you never got into an accident while he was RF with the seat like that, or while FF too early. Well, actually, I'm glad you never got into an accident with your kid in the car, period. :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:32 PM on May. 7, 2009

• JAJA, I'm glad that you are at least following the law. Should you decide you want more information on extended rear facing, I'd be happy to help. Just so you know, my son is 21 months, and in no way cramped or uncomfortable rear facing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:33 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Krystal the reason I said that a woman posted a picture or her kids still rear facing their legs were going UP the seat, my 1st thought was if they were in a bad enough wreck their legs would just snap, but I never said anything every parent - parents their child to the best of their ability what works for 1 may not work for another, thats JMO
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 7:42 PM on May. 7, 2009

• the law varies by state, but most are 1 yr. 20 lbs. the carseat should have a written statement on it. most convertible seats are rear facing-friendly, but some are forward facing only. depends on the brand and when it was made! I've noticed that many moms, and some safety organizations now recommend to keep a baby rear faced till up to 35 lbs, since the neck muscles are still fragile and can get badly injured if in an accident.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:49 PM on May. 7, 2009