Breastfeeding Mommies?

How long did you breast-feed, or how long do you plan on breast-feeding? Also, if you breast-fed, when did you start to introduce solids in addition to breast-milk?

_Jynxx_

Asked by _Jynxx_ at 7:29 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I breast fed my daughter until almost 14 mos, when she weaned due to my pregnancy. She began solids around 5 months. My 21 month old son still nurses, and will continue to do so until he wants to stop. He had little interest in solids until around 11 months. He did have a little bit here and there beginning around 8 months.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:35 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I plan on letting my baby choose when she stops breastfeeding. I hope to make it to two years old. We introduced solids just after 6 months with homemade purees.

She is 10 months old now.
    Devory

Answer by Devory at 7:37 PM on May. 7, 2009

• With my oldest I BF for 8 months. We started cereal in the bottle at 2 months due to reflux and then babyfood at 3 months. Then again at 5 months he started tablefood and at 7 months completely off of babyfood.

With my youngest, he is only 4 months old now. We have tried babyfood off and on the past month but he overeats and I have been a bit lazy (I will admit). I plan to BF till he is at least 8 months old but not past 1 year.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:40 PM on May. 7, 2009

• The World Health Organzation (doctors not nearly as influenced by the formula lobby as American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months. My daughter weaned herself at 23 months. We started solids at 6 months, rice cereal then sweet potatoes; she wouldnt touch avocado under she was 5 or 6.
    Super Baby Foods is a great book on feeding babies; you should be able to get a copy at your local library. More information at www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 7:44 PM on May. 7, 2009

• When I have the baby, I'd really like to breastfeed until two years (unless he decides to wean himself). My main issue is that I'm not sure when to introduce solids, what kind of solids to introduce (I was thinking of making green beans, cooked carrots, and mashing them, or mashing veggies? Maybe using oatmeal mixed with breast-milk and pureed fruit?) , and the ratio of breast-milk to solids that he should eat once solids are introduced. Also, when should actual solid (un-mashed) foods be introduced, like cheerios, whole beans, etc? Can you tell I'm a first-time mommy? >_< lol

confused

_Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 7:47 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I've been bfing for 8 months and we did solids at 5 months.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:48 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Jynxx... Once you decide that it's time to introduce solids, remember that they are basically just for fun. You ALWAYS nurse first, then offer the solids. I would not recommend starting any sooner then 6 months. Avocado and bananas are said to be great first foods. We started with a steamed, purred zucchini. You seem to have the right ideas. Finger foods? You'll know when they're ready, promise!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:19 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Check out kelliemom.com. They have a good article on introducing solids.
    rena_goldmoon

Answer by rena_goldmoon at 8:50 PM on May. 7, 2009

• My dd is 9 weeks and I hope to breast feed for at least a year.
    I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be feeding an older baby. But I'll cross that bridge when it comes.
    I don't plan on starting solids untill 6 months.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:28 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I've been breastfeeding for about 12 1/2 months now, and I play to nurse until Anabelle is at least two, or until she self-weans. We introduced solids at four months because I was an IDIOT who didnt educate myself. Now I know better and regret it deeply. With future children I will delay solids for as long as possible before the one-year marker, and at LEAST until six months.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:53 AM on May. 8, 2009