co-sleeping

ive been cosleeping with my daughter for 8 months now. im starting not to like it because when she wakes up i always have to have her lay on top of me or do other things and im just too tired somtimes. my question is if i get a crib do u think its too late for her to adjust? i know it will take time but is it worth the try..

em9x

Asked by em9x at 7:37 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Definately. If you don't do it she will always want to sleep with you and be like that. It was hard for me because my son always slept with me but I couldn't do it anymore. But now he sleeps in his crib every night and usually doesn't wake up unless he isn't feeling good. It will be hard for you too because she will probably cry a lot the first week or days but she will adjust. Just look up ways to do it or even ask the doctor what the best approach would be. I usually lay my son down with some toys in the crib and his favorite blanket and he plays until he is ready for bed. Good Luck!
    tiffanyec21

Answer by tiffanyec21 at 7:44 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Its not too late. Maybe she is ready for her own space.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:44 PM on May. 7, 2009

• No it is not too late to switch her to her own bed. I loved co-sleeping but at a year mine all went to a crib.
    I started out slowly moving them to thier bed. First I moved them away from me while the were sleeping so they got used to not having the constant body contact. After a few days I then would get them to sleep and leave the bed completely so that could get used to not having me in the bed.
    Then I would put them in their crib to play, so they would get used to it.
    When they liked the crib I would start putting them in it for naps. I would get them to fall asleep in my arms and when they were really asleep I would put them in their crib. Then pat their back until they were not fussing.
    Once they would sleep in the crib for the nap then it was time for them to do it at bedtime too.
    It will take awhile to get her into her own bed, but it is worth it.
    Good job co-sleeping until now. JMO but it is best for babies.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:46 PM on May. 7, 2009

• wth that is still a baby, and should still be in bed with you.
    Anonymous

• I waited to put my oldest in his crib until he was 18 months and it was super hard to get him out of the habit of sleeping in my bed. He continued to climb back into my bed until he was 3. With the other two, I started training them to sleep in there room at about 12 months and it was a breeze.

My ped said that co-sleeping/bottle drinking/breastfeeding become a habit and not a necessity between 15 and 18 months.

Good luck and enjoy the peace and quiet of your bed when she is in her own. :)
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:51 PM on May. 7, 2009

• The sooner you do it the better. My SIL let her baby sleep with her till she was 15 months, and she actually made the transition pretty easily. I'm sure it depends on the kid, but it's definitely going to be easier at this age than it will be down the road.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 8:03 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Lots of babies don't sleep in their parent's bed. Don't listen to anon 747.
    Anonymous

• You can move baby out of your bed at any time, there is no "easy" time to do it and you are never "too late". I kept my babies in bed with me as long as it was working for all of us. When it wasn't, that is when they moved to a crib.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:55 PM on May. 7, 2009

• im getting tired of sharing my bed with my son, so i put his portacrib next to my bed, i get him to fall aslepp and put him in there and he sleeps fine. ill eventually move him into his crib wen he sleeps through t he night
    abbyl2490

Answer by abbyl2490 at 12:07 AM on May. 8, 2009