I have a four yr old boy and two 2 yr old girls. I cant get any of them to potty train except once in a while they will... does anybody have any suggestions?

mommy24422

Asked by mommy24422 at 7:59 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• take both of them to the bathroom EVERY 20 MINUTES..No exceptions. What I ended up having to do is not letting my son off the potty until he peed/pooped. now 2 weeks later he tells me when he has to go. I haven't started my daughter yet. she is 18 months. be very very consistent. do not let them take toys in the bathroom. start a sticker chart. when they go pee they get one sticker, when they go poo they get two stickers. that worked really well for me.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:03 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I did the same sticker chart with my DD. She was 21 months when I started and potty trained within 2 weeks! Always use positive reinforment, never make them feel bad when they regress... Good Luck!
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 8:05 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old, and when my 5 year old was 2, we did the sticker chart, and she was completely potty trained in 4 days. It was absolutely great! My three year old took longer tho. I think it was because if my 5 year old would pee in her underwear, we would just put a new pair on, but with my three year old, we used pull ups instead of underwear because of the baby-sitter. I think it has more effect if you are continuously using underwear instead of going back and forth between them & pull ups.
    Anonymous

• We have been having trouble with the 3 year old grandson. We tried the fruit loops shoot, the Pez reward, the sitting on the seat listening to him say "I can"t pee", reading a book to him, so we bought extra big boy pants and told him that he can pee his pants but he must change them himself, no matter what he does in them (we do the wash up) He is now going on the potty. At first he was stubborn but then he realized that it took a while to do this changing routine and he had to go and do this right away. he did use a pull up if we were out but then back into big boy unders at home, grandmas or any family or friends. Funny that his dad learned the same way.
    gammiej

Answer by gammiej at 1:56 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Oh by the way, he is never shamed, he is just told he needs to go change.
    gammiej

Answer by gammiej at 1:58 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Make your 4 yr old clean himself and change and he will go for you.
    Anonymous