Anterior vs. Posterior cervix and labor?

I was wondering what the difference is between and anterior and posterior cervix. What is better for labor? And does either one mean that labor is imminent? Any knowledge would be great, thank!

Tages_Mom

Asked by Tages_Mom at 8:23 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Anterior position of the baby is when the baby's head is down, which is what should normally happen during labor. The baby will most likely turn into this position which is the most common and easiest way to deliever a child.

Posterior position of the baby is when the baby's head is facing upwards or "sunny-side up." I was born this way and it put HORRIBLE pressure on my mom's spine which caused her to have A LOT of back labor pain. It is less common to occur and it is more difficult to birth a baby this way.

Once you go into labor, if the baby is in posterior position, the contractions will usually force the baby to turn to the correct position (face down.) However sometimes the baby won't turn which doesn't really pose much of a threat to the baby or the mother but it will definitely make the birthing process much more painful and much more lengthy.
    Anonymous

• Its not the cervix thats in this position but the baby...My last child was posterior and the back pain is horrible. My tail bone was already broken and then injured with each child, but this was hurt the most. He came out face up and then twisted his entire body like a corkscrew so by the time his feet came out, he was all face down. IT was so funny. I knew from about 8 mos on that he was posterior. I could tell from the pressure on my back and tailbone and where his butt was. I was hoping he would turn, but he didnt.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:36 AM on May. 8, 2009