Should I be concerned?

My four month old moves her head side to side. She does this when she is trying to go to sleep, she does it so rapidly and violently that the co-sleeper moves with her, and sometimes wakes my husband and I up in in the middle of the night. I'm afraid she will cause herself shaking baby syndrome, should I be concerned?

Imans_mommy

Asked by Imans_mommy at 9:03 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know what it could be, but it is definitely something I would talk to the doctor about because of the force she is putting into it you don't want her to hurt herself. I know babies will jerk there head to the side if they aren't getting enough oxygen.
    Anonymous

• my cousins little girl did this when she was a baby when she would be really sleepy, and it would put her to sleep. she turned 3 in december and she still does it to this day. so talk to your dr if it would make you feel better, but i think its ok
    Anonymous

• I don't think she can give herself shaken baby syndrome, but I would ask my doctor about it. It is probably just a self soothing method, but I ask my doctor about every little thing regardless.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:51 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I would ask. There are some disorders on the autism spectrum that include head shaking as a comfort mechanism.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 10:49 PM on May. 7, 2009

• my son does that too?!
    abbyl2490

Answer by abbyl2490 at 12:00 AM on May. 8, 2009

• as far as i know its nothing to be worried about, my daughter has done that since birth its called rooting or routing i dont remember which, and she still does it, as far as i know it just means that they are tired or hungry. the nurse at the hospital told me that its nothing to worry about, and she probably wont hurt herself doing it, and shaken baby syndrome is basically whiplash for babies, when their head moves back and forth rapidly so i dont think that it will cause that...
    x_tinky_x

Answer by x_tinky_x at 2:53 AM on May. 8, 2009