My son was constipated so he stuck a themomater up his butt, is that normal?

He said that is what the doc. told him to do with his daughter and it was no different then giving him an enema but couldn't that be dangerous???? He did it just like he was checking his temperature but wiggled it around a little bit. It worked but is that healthy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yup, thats what the doctors tell you to do.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:19 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I don't see why it would hurt your son as long as he wasn't wiggling it around too hard and the thermometer didn't have sharp or jagged edges. Sounds like a weird way to relieve constipation though.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:20 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Who stuck that thermoter up your childs butt? If my DD is constipated i was told to use 1 tsp of kero syrup in her bottle or cup, once in the morning and if she does'nt poop all day then do it again in her bottle or cup before bed and trust me she poops the next day.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:22 PM on May. 7, 2009

• who is he???
    and yes it is fine as long as you dont stick it in too far
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:24 PM on May. 7, 2009

• raemommy, Karo syrup shouldn't be given to babies. Their website specifically states NOT to use it for babies. It can carry a botulism risk, same as honey.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:57 PM on May. 7, 2009

• when my DD was extreme constipated (screaming in pain) we tried a thermometer (didnt help) before we remembered that enema bulbs are for giving enemas (duh!). that was several months ago & she is fine. i wouldnt be too worried as long as he wasnt wiggling it around too hard.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:07 PM on May. 7, 2009

• It's perfectly fine. My doctor told me to take a q-tip, put a little vaseline on the end, and barely poke it in there if I didn't have a rectal thermometer to use. I'm with everyone else, though, who is the "he" in this question? lol I'm confused!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 10:08 PM on May. 7, 2009

• so... your grown son stuck a thermometer up his butt? And you posted it on the internet??hmm.... yes its fine to do on infants if that is your question. Some people use their pinky on the baby, but a thermometer is smaller and works the same.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:10 PM on May. 7, 2009

• The pediatician told me to use a thermometer on my son when he was a baby. To relieve constipation.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:51 PM on May. 8, 2009