To home school or not to home school, that is the question

Why would your or would you not home school your children? What benefits or downfalls do you see in being home schooled?

mommarykaje

Asked by mommarykaje at 9:24 PM on May. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I homeschool and couldn't be happier with it.
    Upside: one teacher to track what's been learned. a teacher who know well her students, strengths, weaknesses and sneaky avoidance tactics, lol. a parent can assure the quality of their child's education. the family has scheduling flexibility and vacations can take place at anytime and be another opportunity for learning. those are just a few off the top of my head.

downside: dealing with the misconceptions and assumptions of the ignorant. examples: No, I'm NOT a "tool of the Religious Right", I'm a liberal atheist. no, this isn't something I did on a whim, I have done and continue to do quite a bit of research and pouring over HS resources.

in a minimal amount of time per day, my five year old is reading at a sixth grade level, and doing second grade math and grammar. We have fun and he loves learning.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:19 AM on May. 8, 2009

• i homeschool because its a better option than the schools around where i live- also my boys love it! they love being in control of what they get to learn- and having mommy teach it to them- more one on one attention- the only downside that i see to it sometimes is i feel like i have no support around here....no one- and i mean no one from my are homeschools- its like everyone here thinks im nuts because i actually want to be around my kids all day- when i say i homeschool they are like "really, but why? dont they drive u crazy?" but besides that i love it and so do my kids and i plan on continuing for as long as its right for us
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 9:30 PM on May. 7, 2009

• from my AREA homeschools*** sorry- i have butterfingers tonight lol
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 9:31 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Not, because I'm not a good teacher for my children. I would be doing them a disservice.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:48 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I have some cousins that were homeschooled and had some real issues when they got older, specifically when they went to college they couldn't handle being taught by professors. They didn't socialize really well with others too.

I'm not going to bash someone for homeschooling, but it's not something I would do ... and I'm a teacher! I would much rather my children go to school, grow intellectually, but also with kids their own age who are not their siblings. JMO.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:25 PM on May. 7, 2009

• No I do not homeschool. Number one, one reason I bought this house is because it is a stellar school district. Number two, I pay the teachers in the form of School Taxes to teach my children. Number three, my children need the daily interaction of other children and other adults to have well-rounded social skills. They need to be able to handle different personality types and learn how to get along with others in a group not just once or twice a week, but everyday. So that when they get into the work force and have to work daily with a number of people, they do it easily.
    tikigoddess

Answer by tikigoddess at 10:26 PM on May. 7, 2009

• My daughter did for a year and found that her girls weren't paying attention. They weren't learning and they decided they wanted to go back to school.They were very shy when they were little and home schooling did not help that,obviously. Now that they have been in public school for three years they have become socially and emotionally mature and make friends easily. The kids friends and all the Moms have education background and they are involved in school PTA,etc. Mygranddaughters love school and their teachers have all good things to say about them.They get all A's. The school is excellent.
    Anonymous

• I would never homeschool because I don't have the patience for it ( we barely get through homework) so it would not be good for my kids. My kids have always gone to public school and they love it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:33 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I plan on home-schooling my son starting next year when he is due for kindergarten. I thinks it's the best option for our family. The schools in my neighborhood are not good schools. Just last week a child was caught with a loaded gun at school. But even if I lived in a nicer area, I would still want to home-school. My son loves independent learning, and is very advanced. I would hate to make him slow down and wait for the other children in a class to catch up. And I love spending time with my boys, and teaching them. My son knows he will be home-schooled, and is very excited about it. I have already joined several home-schooling groups in my area, so there will be plenty of opportunities for social interactions. I don't want to just send my kids away for eight hours a day, five days a weeks. I want to nurture them, and help them develop, not just sit back and watch others do that for me.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:29 PM on May. 7, 2009