General Anesthesia

I have an appointment on the 20th to have some long overdue dental work done. Because of how much needs to be done, I'm going to be put under general anesthesia, but I've never gone through that before. To be honest I'm very nervous about it, to the point of feeling sick when I think too much about it. Does anyone have any words of advice for me? I mean what can I expect, what is it like coming out of it, and what not. PLEASE no horror stories though. I've heard enough about them in the past (thank you Discovery Health channel) which is why I'm nervous.

Lilbeamercomin

Asked by Lilbeamercomin at 9:53 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Health

• its really not as bad as people make it out to be. you get the gas or shot and fall asleep a few seconds later. when you wake up out of it, you are a little confused as to where you are b/c you aren't in the same place that you went to sleep in and you are confused as to how much time has passed. your throat will feel funny from the oxygen and the anesthesia so you'll want some kind of juice, water makes it worse. you'll be loopy, everything seems really funny and really slow for about an hour or so after. especially with the combination of pain meds added to the waking up from it. but thats the general rundown of how it works, at least how its worked for me in the past, and in the past 6 yrs i've had general anesthesia for 4 diff times for 4 diff surgeries, never had a problem with it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:04 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Well, what exactly are they doing that is so extensive that you need to be put under for? I've never seen this happen unless: a patient has severe anxiety which interferes with the dentist's ability to get the work done, kids who are anxious, "big" work like getting all 4 impacted wisdom teeth taken out at once. There are prob a few instances I'm forgetting, but I'm just curious.
    Anonymous

• its not bad. i had it for my gall bladder surgery and it was wierd. coming out if it was fine. i was in pain because of the surgery a little so i wasn't loopy. i remember laughing in recovery but the only reason is because it hurt my belly. lol.

just make sure you have someone to drive you and talk to you when you are in recovery. i was always wierded out by the idea of it and any time i had the chance i did laughing gas because i didnt want to be put out. but it wasn't bad at all. i think i might have had it once for surgery on my hand too. i dont remember if it was laughing gas though....

either way, just try not to think about it right now. there isn't anything that you can do. and i am sure it will be fine.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:58 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Exactly a month ago I was going through the same thing. I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled. Partial bony, super-impacted, impacted, and I can't remember the 4th one. The worst part of the whole thing was the stupid dentist not being able to find a vein. Other than that, everything went very smoothly. You will be loopy and a little tired but it will be fine. They gave me a little nitrous oxide to "relax my veins". I think it was to relax me but I didn't really mind that either. They tried to make me ride out in a wheelchair and I told them nicely where they could shove it.

I would find out how they are putting you under so you are prepared. Whether it's mask over the face or through an IV, you'll know what to expect.

Good luck!
    momioftwinz

Answer by momioftwinz at 11:13 PM on May. 7, 2009

• to anon:
    Local anesthetics don't work well for me in the rear of my mouth which is where most of the work is being done. I have 2 impacted wisdom teeth which have shattered the teeth in front of them. Also I have a tooth that broke off flush with the gum line (was a root canal) and the gum has since healed over it. Then I have 2 teeth that broke from teeth shifting to accommodate the impacted wisdom teeth. Then one tooth that just went too long without being fixed that it just needs to come out. Pretty much a chain reaction all the way around my mouth. I went about 9 years without dental insurance or a way to pay for it and now that I have the insurance, I'm trying to get everything caught up on all at once. I do have anxieties with dentists, but that's the very least of the reasons for the general.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 11:28 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Yeah my dentist wont even do the work unless there is someone there to drive me home. Not just that but my husband can't drop me off and pick me up afterwords - he has to stay the whole time. Luckily the procedure should only take about 30 minutes, but my 9 month old is going to be in the waiting room with my husband. (unless my MIL is able to get the morning off to watch him)
    I'm tempted to have my husband bring the video camera so I can see myself coming out of it, but I don't know if there's some rules about that or not. I hope not, if all goes well I think it would make a rather humorous video. :o)
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 11:31 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Ok, so you do have quite some work to get done! lol It's like me though, I waited, and waited, and bam! But, I typically just favor the local rather than general, at nearly all costs. That's why I was asking. Also, I worked at a dental office for 7 yrs as an assistant. Good luck with your procedure!!! As far as your quest....just relax, that's the best you can do...it also helps ease the dentist's work!!
    Anonymous