As far as supply of milk goes, is pumping the same as breastfeeding?

MalakiahsMommy

Asked by MalakiahsMommy at 10:14 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• not necessarily. The pump I have heard doesn't empty them as well. I exclusively pumped b/c my little one didn't latch. If you are pumping and not nursing then it will be a little extra work to get your supply up when the baby's demand increases.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:17 PM on May. 7, 2009

• A pump does remove as much milk as you make majority of the time, which means more pumping is needed and regular pumping is needed compared to actual breastfeeding.

Either way the child gets breastmilk, but exclusive pumping moms tend to wean earlier and have more supply issues
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:21 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Absolutely not. Some women can't pump a drop, and still EBF.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:22 PM on May. 7, 2009

• pumping is great if you already have a built supply and say you are running for a girls day out or heading back to work but in order to build a supply then have the supply go up according to baby demand you need to put baby to breast the first 10-12 weeks and then after that a least 2x a day so your brain knows what the demand amount is ...the other thing I want to mention is this breast milk while breast feeding will actually change in its consistancy during a feed so let me give you an example-- your baby gets a cold- your baby is nursing when baby latches and is congested a message is sent to your brain to decrease lactose and increase protein and water during the feed Y?b/c lactose thickens secretions and the others thin and rid viruses --thats just one of like100 examples I could give you but the point is the same baby to breast is superior to the pump
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:53 PM on May. 7, 2009

• nursing from the tap is more natural than the pump. it is more stimulating, so you will produce more. a pump is helpful once the supply is established and you want to relieve engorgement. you can pump in the mornings or between feedings and store them milk in special bags, and freeze them or refridgerate them!
    Anonymous

• OK OBJECTIVE ANSWER HERE ARE YOU READY?
    it depends on the person
    I exclusively pumped with my second child due to things I could not change, I was getting 8 oz out of each side every couple of hours my first month, in under 10 minutes
    My third child I could barely pump 4 ounces after 20 minutes
    if you have a negative view on pumps, it will effect your results
    heathersarge

Answer by heathersarge at 11:43 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Pumps are not as efficient as the baby is. It is possible to exclusively pump but it's a LOT of hard work and I don't recommend it unless it's really really necessary. Most problems that drive moms to exclusively pump are quite solvable.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:39 AM on May. 8, 2009