Below 5th percentile for weight

My daughter is below the 5th percentile for weight according to formula-fed growth charts...she is formula fed. Does this mean she is not getting enough to eat?

She's 10 months old and weighs 16.5 pounds.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OK that is a bit on the skinny side ...... couple of things I'd suggest she needs more formula closer to 24 ounces a day-- give her formula before food so shes the most hungry with the formula-- also throw an Avacodo in there (great food high in NATURAL fat) sprinkle some wheat germ around too
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:40 PM on May. 7, 2009

• how much are you feeding her and does she eat jar food? are you giving her cereal?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:29 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I have a girls growth chart here but what is her length?
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:29 PM on May. 7, 2009

• no, my sister in law has a 2yr old that has always been below weight no matter how much she feeds him, his drs ran tests and found that hes just a small baby, but it is worth them runing tests if they are concerned
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 10:30 PM on May. 7, 2009

• OP: She's about 30 inches long
    Anonymous

• It really depends on her length. If she is in the lower percantile for height, you are probably fine. What does the dr say? I was very tiny-15 or 16 pounds at one year. So it may not be a problem at all.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:30 PM on May. 7, 2009

• My daughter always was and is smaller than kids her age. But, Iam short so she is too. She is 5 and is 29 pounds. Healthy and not even skinny lookn at all. Shes 3 foot 2
    Anonymous

• There is nothing inherently wrong with being below the 5th percentile... basically a percentile means that 95% of same age babies are bigger than her, 5% are smaller. SOMEONE has to be in the first percentile and someone has to be in the 99th.... all of those weights are considered to be normal weights. Some doctors do 'red flag' babies on either end of the spectrum for further observation/testing/analysis... but that doesn't mean that babies on either end of the spectrum cannot be perfectly healthy and happy and thriving, but just smaller than most of their peers.
    My first two kids were not even IN a percentile... my middle child was only 17lb1oz when she turned a year! Both went for blood and urinalysis, both were perfectly fine and healthy. I am 4'11 and weigh about 105 lbs... my kids just take after me. I would feed her what she wants to eat and follow her lead and not worry too much about the numbers. HTH a bit!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:31 PM on May. 7, 2009

• OP: She drinks an average of 18 ounces of formula, 4-5 tablespoons of infant cereal, 1 jar of baby food, and an assortment of finger foods (gerber snacks, peas, banana chunks, toast, cheese)
    Anonymous

• My daught was always about 3 percent then 5 percent. (she had her own growth curve) Its fine!! For the first 6 mos she was on a preemie chart so, no big deal. Stop comparing your kid and ask her doctor...
    Anonymous