SD relationship......

I feel like my SD & I have been getting along better lately. I feel like we have been closer - like things seem more comfortable & she has even been asking me questions about having a period. She doesn't have it yet, she is only 8 but she is curious & i think she thinks she is going to have it soon (which she might her BM started at 9). I do everything I can to balance rules, respect, & fun. I try to make sure that we do fun things together, talk, relax, whatever. I try to give her space when she seems like she needs it, but I don't let her walk all over me either. I thought things were going pretty well, but I found out this evening that she has been telling things that are bothering her to her BM. BM said she wanted to talk to SO about it all because she doesn't want to hurt feelings. Which means it about me because she doesn't care about hurting SOs feelings. I just don't know what I should do to improve our relationship...

aly38914290

Asked by aly38914290 at 11:05 PM on May. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Wait and see. Don't jump to any conclusions. I am sure your SO will talk to you about it as soon as he knows what is going on and you can figure it out then. Sometimes though a SD might talk bad about SM to BM because she thinks she is being loyal to BM that way. Even if she really likes you she might feel guilty about it on some level and so complains to BM about you to stay close to her BM? Does that make sense? I did that somewhat as a kid, I would be fine during a visit with my dad and SM, maybe one or two things bad but mostly a good visit. But I would still complain about SM to my BM because I thought it would make my BM happy if I didn't like SM that much. Though in my situation my BM hated my dad and SM. It may be different if you get along with her mom.
    AprilD32

Answer by AprilD32 at 12:14 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Just because she wants to talk to her birth mom about some things doesn't mean your relationship isn't improving! It sounds like things are going well, keep it up and don't get discouraged!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 1:02 AM on May. 8, 2009