I was given prozac to counter act me always being tired does

That seem right ive been seeing my doctor, for a year now for tiredness, fatigueness she has told me that its just cause i have children, but im always tired, i can fall asleep up against a wakll, now i saw her today, and she prescribed prozac 10mg as a pick me up she said, because she could not find anything wrong with me, does this sound right prozac for a pick me up, she said it would be like a red bull give me wings?? iffy before i start taking it?? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Health

• Maybe it will act as an upper. Maybe you react differently to anti-depressants. For me they make me tired. But since you already are tired, maybe they will boost you up. Who knows. You should take them on a trial basis and report to your doctor the way you react to them.
    mamofive

Answer by mamofive at 11:26 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I've never heard of a doctor prescribing an antidepressant as a little pick me up type pill. I took prozac for several years and never felt peppy or full of energy--quite the opposite. Was this a psychiatrist or your PCM who prescribed this? Did she think your sleep problems are related to depression? Also, it takes up to 6 weeks for it to show any signs of working.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:42 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I slept for 18 hours a day when I was on Prozac. I am assuming your doctor isn't a psychiatrist as much as a general practitioner? Honestly, if you are questioning the medication before you start, you may not want to start. Unless you are actually suffering from depression, antidepressants can cause a manic state in many people. I would be wary to take them. Perhaps get a second opinion from another doctor before you start taking them?
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:03 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Get a second opinion by a psychiatrist before you start taking them. Prozac usually causes drowsiness.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:52 AM on May. 8, 2009

• A lot of medications have 2 or more uses. I am going to school for medical assisting and last month a girl asked our teacher this same question and she said it is normal. We talked quite a bit about it.
    LukesMommy912

Answer by LukesMommy912 at 12:31 PM on May. 8, 2009