Would it be terrible of me to use a straightening iron on my 3 yr old's hair?

She has EXTREMELY curly hair, even soaking wet, the ringlets are there. I thought it might be fun to try to straighten it with my straightening iron- cause if I stretch her curls out, they go past her shoulder blades. Otherwise, they spring up above her shoulders.

Would it be too hard on her hair if I tried it once?

BTW, her hair isn't very fine for a 3 yr old, it has always been a bit coarser than other caucasian children's hair, that i have noticed.

Kersten

Asked by Kersten at 11:07 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• it'd probably be better on her hair if you tried to blow dry it straight. a straightening iron will burn her hair since its still so fragile. and you have to worry that she will be inpatient with it and get burned on accident.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:10 PM on May. 7, 2009

• that's a good idea vabchmommy, but i don't think blowdrying's gonna do much for these crazy curls!
    Kersten

Answer by Kersten at 11:15 PM on May. 7, 2009

• my daughters hair is curly like that and i can get it pretty straight (she won't sit still enough to do it all the way) w/the hair dryer. use a straightening lotion and a wide flat brush.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:18 PM on May. 7, 2009

• well I don't think trying it out will do any harm if she sits for it but don't make a habit of it it will ruin her her & maybe send her a message that curly hair is ugly even at this young age she might think that
    Anonymous

• Why not try a hair product that is for straightening curly hair combined with a warm blow dryer and brush/comb? Even if that doesnt get it all the way straight, you can then use a hot comb (only if she can sit still) to ease the frizz. Using the hot comb last will mean less sitting completely still time.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:22 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Anonymous: I dont plan to make a habit out of it, I agree, I'd like her to grow up loving her curls. But I don't think it would hurt her self image to have fun with her hair and change it up once in a while.

vabchmommy: I'll try it. I guess I said that b/c I have wavy to curly hair, and while blowdrying does straighten it some, it makes it very frizzy - so then i use a flat iron on it.

MamaChamp: I've never used a hot comb. Are they quicker than using flat irons?
    Kersten

Answer by Kersten at 11:45 PM on May. 7, 2009

• As long as she knows it's just for fun and that you love her hair the way it is - I don't see a problem.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:58 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I agree with Kaycee, go for it! :)
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 12:03 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Well, IMO a hot comb is quicker and gets closer to the roots it is more hot and more likely to burn her if and WHEN she moves. Personally I would use a flat iron and not expect to get perfection.
    My 7 month old has curly hair too..1 inch curly and 3 inches when I pull it tight so I'm itching to see how it looks straight too!! I won't do an iron yet of course but I'm thinking about shampooing and blow drying on a cool or light heat setting that won't bother her.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:08 AM on May. 8, 2009

• okkkk....please do NOT flat iron a 3 yr old hair. You want her to appreciate her beautiful curls. I would try a moouse or a smoothing lotion on her hair. If you need to straighten her hair, Get it blow dried and not often by the time she's 6 her hair will be fried from the flat iron! I have thick, curly hair, i get my hair blow dryed at a salon ( not an expensive one) My hair dresser is from the Dominican Republic and I've experimented with many different people styling my hair and I've HAD THE BEST LUCK WITH THAT...thanks for listening
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on May. 8, 2009