Does my baby weigh too much???

My daughter was born at 7lbs. and 5.5oz. at 1 month and 1 week she weighed 9.5 lbs. But in the last 8 days she has gained 2 more pounds. It's like she can't stop eating. She's eating every 2 hours (or sooner) and at about 4oz at every feeding. I know this isn't normal. I've tried talking to her doctor and he says to just feed her whenever she's hungry. Any advice? And how much are 1month olds supposed to weigh?

proud_mommy1322

Asked by proud_mommy1322 at 11:10 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she is probably going through a growth spurt. my LO one time ate like 4 oz. then a couple ours later another 8 oz.! she doesn't even eat 8 oz. at a time now and she is 10 months old. lol. they go in spurts. i don't remember off the top of my head how much she wieghed at 1 month. i have it written down on a calander in her room but i dont want to wake her just to check. she has her first ear infection...yay me.

just feed her on demand. if she starts spitting up more than normal than you'll know she is over eating, but i bet she is just growing a lot right now.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:15 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Feed Her! If she wants to eat she is just fine to do so
    Anonymous

• Yes she is doing perfectly.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:19 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Sounds like you've been busy! My daughter ate every hour or basically just all the time at first.. but she was tiny and premature and only took 1 oz each time. (Nothing worked to keep her up)
    I think that you should try and put it out of your mind and feed your baby when it's hungry. In a few months if the same thing continues to happen than bring up your concerns to the doctor again. It's really too soon to tell if anything is "wrong" and most likely it's just a hell of a growth spurt. However, it could be a sign of something that can't be diagnosed until your baby is older. DON'T STRESS about it... most likely everything is fine.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 11:21 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I went through this, my daughter is a big girl, not like a fat baby but my family says she is the perfect amount of chub but when people see her they cant believe she is only 6 months old. The best advice I can give you is stop worrying, babies are too young to overeat so if she is acting hungry, she is hungry! Even if she is big, once she starts moving around and crawling around she will drop that weight real quick. Besides no one wants a skinny baby, chubby thighs is all part of their cuteness!!
    MsSamanthaGrace

Answer by MsSamanthaGrace at 11:33 PM on May. 7, 2009

• awwww lol if shes eating it well keep feeding her. she will let you know when shes not hungary anymore. she has a healthy appettite. thats good.
    michele101183

Answer by michele101183 at 12:32 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I thought the same thing...my son is too big!! He was 7lbs 5.9oz at birth. They say babies have growth spurts at 6 weks and 3 months. Now at 5 months he's 17lbs. But he's only gained 4oz in the last month. So I think that he went through a huge growth spurt around 3 months and now he's slowing down. Which is good, cause I can't afford to keep buying new clothes every week! ....I'm sure your daughter is fine. If she continues to gain and it doesn't seem to slow down, talk to her doctor.
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 12:59 AM on May. 8, 2009

• She may seem fat now, but she'll thin out when she starts moving. My oldest was always skinny, but my second was 8lbs 1oz at birth, and until he was 6mos, gained about 2.5-3 lbs per month. After 6mos, he leveled out and actually lost weight when he started crawling. There is no "perfect" weight for a 1mo old - mine will be 1mo on the 13, and he's already 10.5 lbs. He's just a big boy.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 6:13 PM on May. 9, 2009

• My son was born at 8.1 and at 2 weeks he was 10lbs. 12 oz!! He is now 18 mos. old 36 inches and 35 lbs!! Dr. has never said anything to me about his weight just that hes a healthy guy.....btw i bottle fed also
    Mrs.Huyck

Answer by Mrs.Huyck at 7:48 AM on May. 10, 2009