Am I to strict

I don't allow my children to spend the night at there friends houses. I allow there friends to sleep over. I know some of the moms get frustrated with me. But I can't be so sure of how their parents are. I rather be safe than sorry.

akmami0f4

Asked by akmami0f4 at 11:16 PM on May. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• No your not being to Strict! They are your children and you should protect them. I dont let mine stay the night over at thier friends house, until I really know the parents. In the few times I have just let them, I have regretted it! the parents let them run wild, left them unsupervised or just had wierd friends over. I think you should just stand your ground and if the other parents dont like it TUFF!
    Momabean

Answer by Momabean at 1:18 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Yes you are being to strict and you arent being fair. I think you should get to know the parents and THEN make a decision on whether they can spend the night. You make it sound like they aren't good parents. It makes you look like a superior snob to them I'm sure.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:18 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I believe that if you don't trust them with your kids, why should they trust you with theirs?
    Anonymous

• With everything going on in the news I wouldnt either!!!! I am going to be a total freak about it when my kids get old enuf for sleep overs. You can never be too careful
    nursinghannah

Answer by nursinghannah at 11:26 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I'm not judging but I will give you an opinion that me and my husband has formed over the years of knowing a single parent of a now 11 year old boy. Sm background on them-She lives with her aunt (she had her child late and is now in her 50's) in an apartment and she shares a bedroom with her son. (I'm not clear if they share a bed or not) She has a good solid job but does not make a lot of money enough to move into her own apartment and still be able to aford the luxeries her and her son enjoy. She does not have any friends that she hangs out regularly. She and her son spend all time together when she is not working and he is not in school. He is not super school smart but she tries very hard to be involved in his education and whatnot. Me and my husband do think this child is very sheltered for an 11 year old boy....granted he's not out on the street having sex and doing drugs but he doesn't know anything about being...
    Anonymous

• i agree with anon if it was me, and you said that your daughter couldn't spend the night at my house w/my daughter but that my daughter could stay at your house, i'd wonder why i should trust you at all. to me it would be put across as a couple diff ways, one your a weirdo and you want the girls at your place (if you catch my drift there), two you think you are better than me as a parent, three, if we lived in diff neighborhoods, i'd take it to mean that you think my home isn't safe. or that you are just a snob. i think if you really feel like you don't know the parents well enough than you should try to get to know them better, but really why should they trust you overnight with their child if you can't trust them with theirs
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:28 PM on May. 7, 2009

• away from her. She does not allow him to spend time at friends houses whose parents she doesn't know. He does not play on the street or go to the park without her. I think he's going to grow up very nieve if she doesn't soon let him do a few things on his own. Again this is just our opinion and obviously only a "similar" situation and not exactly the same. This kid we know is very nice and polite and friendly and happy....It's just not right for him to spend THAT much time with his mom and not socialize with other boys his own age.
    Anonymous

• I allow my oldest daughter to go out with her friends with out me. I allow birthday partys and everything of that nature. I just don't let them spend the night. I don't know who sleeps in there house. The children that spend the night at my house. There mothers allow them and half of the mothers have no idea who I am. You know to me thats just crazy
    akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 11:32 PM on May. 7, 2009

• i think it would be okay if you knew their parents well
    Amanda2430

Answer by Amanda2430 at 12:08 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I have to know the parents and meet them a few times before I will allow my children to go stay the night. I have lightened up with my oldest because he has shown me that he will not stay at a friend's house if he is not comfortable. He has actually called me to come and get him because a friend's house was filthy.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 12:11 AM on May. 8, 2009