Palin's daughter and abstinence?

Am I the only one who thinks solely teaching abstinence will not help the teenage pregnancy rate go down? I think that not having sex plays a big part in this issue, but if things get hot and heavy and out of control, and things end up happening, kids need to know how to use condoms, each and every time!! What are your thoughts?

serioussifL

Asked by serioussifL at 11:35 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think you are right!
    heathersarge

Answer by heathersarge at 11:38 PM on May. 7, 2009

• If things are "hot and heavy and out of control' than it's an impulse and they aren't worrying about condoms anyway. If you give your child condoms and birth control, it's saying your ok with them having sex. Teach abstinence, but let them know there options. If there big enough to have sex, than there big enough to not get birth control from their mommies.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 11:37 PM on May. 7, 2009

• well, if they are 15 and do not have a job.....
    heathersarge

Answer by heathersarge at 11:39 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I agree with sarapurser, 100%
    wanita61

Answer by wanita61 at 11:45 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I am with sarapurser. When two people agree to have sex than they are agreeing to the possibility that the girl can get pregnant. Like it or not, that is what sex is for, procreation. If they are old enough to make that decision than they are old enough to be responsible for the consequences, and old enough take action to avoid unwanted consequences. Parents know if their child is too young and need to make that very clear. A parent of a teenager is still a parent, not the cool friend who buys them condemns. Parents need to be responsible and teach kids to be responsible as well, by not having sex until they are ready to be a parent. That is what sex comes down to, an attempt at continuing the human race.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 11:52 PM on May. 7, 2009

• i think teenagers will be teenagers and in reality we can not stop them from having sex.... the best thing we can do is educate the he*l out of them about it and hope for the best.... in palins daughters case... she has already had a child so what would the purpose really be????
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:13 AM on May. 8, 2009

• sorry but if i 100% knew my daughter/son was having sex (comeone, just because u dont agree with it isnt going to make them stop)... i would 100% make sure they had protection... i would rather the parents give it to them rather then them not have it at all....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:14 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Teach abstinence but give them birthcontrol methods.
    simonsmomma

Answer by simonsmomma at 12:17 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Considering Bristol was the result of comprehensive sex ed, I don't think it matters. Kids don't have unprotected sex because they're uninformed - they do it because they're teenagers and therefore believe they are invincible and it will "never happen to them, only other people who aren't as smart"
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:40 AM on May. 8, 2009

• According to the CDC one in five american adults has genital herpes, but hey let's focus on teen pregnancy. You know, do as I say not as I do, so it's teens who should practice abstinence.
    Let's also make teen pregnancy one of our main issues when our politics is so bad we need something to take the focus off our true agendas.
    And where or where will we ever get newborns for our thousands of waiting customers willing to pay us to adopt newborns? Since they don't want "those" available children in foster care, we'll go out of business. Oh wait, that's right, teen pregnancy is a viable easy resource.
    Oh heck, let's just blame all the ills of society on the old scape goat - teen pregnancy .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:41 AM on May. 8, 2009