schizophrenic?

do you beleive it is possible that many characters from the bible could have been schizophrenic? i truly believe that some of the stories that are said to be "absolutely true" are stories from minds that suffered from schizophrenia or some other kind of mental illness

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• As someone that suffers with Schizophrenia I have to say NO. Only in very rare cases do you run in to someone that has such spacific "personalities" in their head. Most poeple that hear voices can't put a name to them, they are just there.
    I think a few of them may have been on drugs or dilusinal but not Schizo...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:55 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I honestly just think it has to do with the difference in mentality/language/expression/intelligence(man has progressed)/and so on.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:11 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I just believe the Bible is seriously dramatized so the point can be clearly made and have an extreme effect on some.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 1:09 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Not schizophrenia. Drugs. Prophets/seers/astrologers all used combinations of fasting and mind altering substances, sometimes for days, before they would have visions and then write them down.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:38 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Yes, and I also believe that Religious people who 'hear God' are schizophrenic as well.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:11 AM on May. 8, 2009

• yes I do, but to get into the whys and hows......it would not only be a long conversation, but one that would probably not be well received by many...including christians. Ya know the whole demonic spirit discussion. Too deep and too long for a friday. Im tired.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:41 AM on May. 8, 2009

• There are lots of stories about religious figures that heard voices (Joan of Arc, St. Patrick). I don't know if it was schizophrenia, but I think it was probably a mental disorder of some sort.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 11:29 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Sure that seems valid (no sarcasm)

ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 5:58 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I doubt it. The custom at the time was to use hallucinogenic plants to induce visions. I'm guessing they were just high...although John of Patmos may have been a little bit mentally unbalanced as well. Just read his acid trip in Revelations!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:07 PM on May. 9, 2009

• King James Bible : Revelation : Chapter 22

22:7
    Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.

King James Bible : Revelation : Chapter 3

3:5
    He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
    age55

Answer by age55 at 2:53 PM on May. 10, 2009