How do I deal with depression during pregnancy?

I'm three months into my 2nd pregnancy. I've suffered serious anxiety and depression for a long time, but the medicine I take is unsafe during pregnancy. During my 1st, my doctor switched me to something "safer", but it didn't help and I stopped because I feel EXTREMELY uncomfortable taking those types of prescriptions while pregnant. But it was really bad. I stopped once again taking my meds, and I am completely losing it again. I can't control my emotions, my anger, my depression. I stop eating for long periods of time, and I have really negative thoughts. I just don't know what to do. It effects my sleep, my relationships, my family, and I'm sure it's not good for myself or the baby. Does anyone have any suggestions, because I don't know what to do and therapists don't help me either. A note on that added, I am not comfortable going to sit with some stranger to tell my problems to. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Rufalicious

Asked by Rufalicious at 11:47 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have found that talking to a trusted friend instead of a strange therapist works well.. any time I have an anxiety attack I call my mom. Getting out of the house helps me, also, even if it is only to take my daughter to the park for an hour or so. Umm... also reading, taking a bath, and a hour massage once or twice a month. Relaxation releases the feel good endorphines (or however that is spelled)
    I am having the same type of issues, I'm 8 weeks along with my 2nd, and have been shaking out of fear uncontrolably lately- and I have no Idea what I am afraid of. I'm going in for a massage tomarrow- it helps SO much just to have time to relax and reflect.
    ccspiratemama

Answer by ccspiratemama at 12:54 AM on May. 8, 2009