Why is it so hard to just find one or two kids to watch?

I have been trying to babysit just a couple of kids at my house. So far no luck. I have a lot of experience and tons of references. I can't even get a job being a nanny. I have to bring my 2 kids but why do some people have a problem with that. My kids are great kids. With the other families that I have cared for it was never an issue.

TREYNADDYSMAMA

Asked by TREYNADDYSMAMA at 11:49 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• my only fear with a sitter bringing her kids to my house to watch my kid, is one i'm then paying her to watch her kids and mine, and two i'd always worry that my child wasn't getting the attention she should with the other kids in the house. i'd have to really know and trust the parent to still give my daughter the time and attention she deserves. and that would also apply to a parent that is watching my kids in their home w/their own kids there. so once again i'd just really have to trust her alot so it'd have to be someone i know very well
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:55 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Right now it isn't so much you as it is that people are losing their jobs right and left meaning a lot of people who used to need daycare are now at home taking care of their own kids bc they can't find work and two that also means those moms who lost their jobs are trying to have at home daycares too to make money meaning the markets saturated with providers. Its really a lose lose. I've been there!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I honestly wouldnt pay someone to watch my kids if they had to bring theirs. IN my opinion, to much favortism towards your own kids would occur and my kiddos wouldnt get the attention they need. Another thing is, I REFUSE to let someone else raise my kiddos while I work!! Between ym hubby and I, we have our work schedules where at least one of us will be with the kids at any given time of day or night. It feels good knowing my kids will get what they need and have their mom/dad with them.
    SweetKYmom

Answer by SweetKYmom at 8:41 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Many people only will leave their children in a licensed facility. You can try signing up with sitter city: www.sittercity.com

Answer by rkoloms at 9:37 AM on May. 8, 2009

• most people prefer a licensed day care. And if you have to have your kids with your for this. Advertise that you will watch kids in YOUR home. But to do this, you'll have to see your state laws as to what required to do this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on May. 8, 2009

• My friend (who doesn't have kids) is a nanny, and when they hired her one of the first things they asked was if she had kids. Alot of people perfer you not to have or bring your kids because that would take away your full attention from the kids. Try advertising your babysitter at places like Meadowbrook, or Medicallodges cuz I know there is some single parents up there. Good luck!!!
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 2:47 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I know just as me being a mother and being in a lot of different situations that I can relate to everyone. Although from my experience if I am just watching one or two kids I don't see the need to be licensed. I understand how people might think that it would take attention away from their own kids but honestly what is the difference between me and a daycare? A daycare has more kids!?! Also it gives the kids who I would be watching an opportunity to still play and socialize with other children. Which is what they need to do anyways in some type of way. They are going to have to do it for preschool and school. I understand about the job market though. My mother in law who is a nurse was even having a hard time finding a job. Well I guess GOD has blessed me though because it turns out my neighbor is going to have me watch her son in the fall.
    TREYNADDYSMAMA

Answer by TREYNADDYSMAMA at 12:05 AM on May. 19, 2009