Breastfeeding/bottles

I plan to breastfeed my baby but I figure I should buy/register for bottles as well. I just bought one of the Avent 4 oz ones so I could try it out....How often do you breastfeeding moms actually use bottles? How many do you think I'll need, and what sizes? They are so expensive! Also, how often do you change the nipple?

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 12:05 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is 5 months old and has not used a bottle yet. My older son didn't use a bottle until he was much older and I would give him water or apple juice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Start right away with doing both bottle and breastfeeding other wise theyll get used to just one or the other and not take a bottle or the other way around. for right now just three should be fine and you should wash them after every use in the dishwasher or really hot water.
    KM52mom

Answer by KM52mom at 12:13 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Well it depends on when you plan on using the bottle. When they are small they only need 4oz bottles and when they get older they need the 8 oz bottles. I say just start out small. With the 4oz bottles if you are going to use them.
    akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 12:15 AM on May. 8, 2009

• And as far as size get a bigger one you dont always have to fill it up and that way you save on money and dont have to buy a little one
    KM52mom

Answer by KM52mom at 12:15 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Most nursing experts agree that you should introduce a bottle around 3-5 weeks. Any sooner and they might think a bottle is easier than the breast (which it is), any later and they may not take a bottle at all. If you really want to breastfeed, don't initially rely on a bottle too much.

I am fortunate in that my son took both very easily from day 1, but that was not by my choice necessarily... he was in NICU for 12 hours and had 2 bottles by the time I got a chance to nurse him. So we just kept giving him one bottle a day after that.

The 4 oz size will get you through til at least 3-4 months, I'd have 3 on hand (all with the lowest flow nipple possible). I used the Dr. Brown bottle, which a lactation consultant told me is the closest thing to breast feeding.

For lots of good information on breastfeeding, check out pumpstation.com
    vixenmama

Answer by vixenmama at 12:59 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Definitely hold off on the bottle the first month. And let someone else give the first bottle with you out of site.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:06 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I got a starter set of bottles of the Wide Flow Playtex BPA-free bottles; it came with two 4 oz. and three 8 oz. plus nipples (both slow and fast). My son prefers the slow nipples but every baby is different. He's now five months & I mostly use the 8 oz bottles now but when he was younger, the 4 oz bottle worked out really well.

I know a lot of people say not to introduce it right away but if you are having trouble feeding your child & they are not attaching, sometimes its best to bite the bullet and give them formula a few times a day while still trying to breastfeed. Or get a pump and & use the bottles..
    Dynamos_Mommy

Answer by Dynamos_Mommy at 6:42 PM on May. 8, 2009

• If you are planning to breatfeed, it is recommended that you don't give your baby a bottle until they are 3 weeks or older. This way your baby won't get nipple confusion. My son is 4 weeks now and I pump once a day, sometimes two, so I can leave the house for a break, and his father or his big brother feeds him. I use Dr. Brown's bottles, but I have known many mothers that use the Avent bottle and they have said that those bottles are pretty good.
    bun-n-ma-oven

Answer by bun-n-ma-oven at 2:48 AM on May. 9, 2009