If I only normally pump 3xs a day, if I would get up and pump once every 2 or 3 hours would I start getting more milk?

My son is formula fed and breastfed but he won't latch so I pump. He is now almost 3 weeks old and seems to just now be having problems with the formula. (She switched his formula but its not working too well either) His doctor said ask if he was having problems with the breastmilk and I said no. She suggested I give him mainly breastmilk, but since I have only been pumping so few times a day I don't have enough to "mainly" feed him breastmilk. What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes as often as you can pump and youll get more milk and if you want him to latch dont give him a bottle anymore he will be mad and its hard but keep at it i had a hard time getting mine to latch on and it was tuff but stay strong and get some help theres people who will help you with it.
    KM52mom

Answer by KM52mom at 12:21 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Check out pumpstation.com, they are an awesome resource for breastfeeding! You can even call them for quick questions and a nursing educator will talk to you at no charge.

But in answer to your question, it's all about supply and demand. Between your baby nursing and pumping, you have to convince your body that you need more milk if you want to increase production. There is a whole section on that website for increasing milk supply. It's not always easy, but it can be done!
    vixenmama

Answer by vixenmama at 12:52 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Yes. If you're going to exclusively pump, every two horus around the clock.

And that's a permanent commitment.

Might be easier to fight him on the latch...that will be a struggle of a few days in comparison to months and months of going to pump every two hours.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:27 AM on May. 8, 2009

• OMG.. we had trouble latching for the first 3 weeks.. I was a "pumping fool". Every 1 1/2 hrs. I pumped. If I got him latched on the R side ( he didn't take to left at all for 3 weeks) I would pump the R as soon as it was over.. talk about a commitment and tiring! However after many, many tries My Son now prefers BF to bottle feeding! He latches nicely on both sides. It is SO much easier than trying to Pump (and convenient). At first he was eating round the clock ( probably to build my supply). It has gotten better now. Keep in mind a pump does not stimulate you the way your own baby will.. but if you choose to exclusively pump good luck! there are many site that are helpful out there. .and many exclusive pumpers! Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on May. 8, 2009

• yur body will produce as much milk as your baby needs to eat the more u pump the more milk your body will make but it may take a day or two for your body to get to excatly how much he needs!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Pumping is great and all, but the baby's suck is what will really stimulate milk production. Your baby could have nipple confusion. If I were you, I would stick it out a couple of days, work real hard to get your baby to your breast. Also, to help your body produce more milk, pick up some fenugreek capsules. Fenugreek is an all natural supplement that is quite often reccomnded to increase milk supply.
    bun-n-ma-oven

Answer by bun-n-ma-oven at 2:44 AM on May. 9, 2009