Does it hurt to breast feed when your baby is teething?

I only breast fed my first son for two months then quit. With my second baby I plan to breast feed for a year. I'm being induced in two days and moving afterward so I won't be having internet for a while. I want to know if it hurts. LOL. I was wondering if I should stop when the baby starts teething and just breast pump my milk for the rest of the year? What do you think? Anyone gone through this experience?

bisbeesmiley

Asked by bisbeesmiley at 12:12 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if they bite yes but just tell them no in a strong voice or ive heard a little flick on the mouth they said that works if your comfortable doing that
    KM52mom

Answer by KM52mom at 12:17 AM on May. 8, 2009

• If they chomp down yes it hurts but your baby will learn. Not to bite mommy. Well congrats on the baby.
    akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 12:18 AM on May. 8, 2009

• yes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Join la leche league and get The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (a book).

Breast feeding should never hurt. Sometimes a baby's latch will change because their gums are uncomfortable and your nipples can be a little tender for a while, and a bite can hurt a bit, but biting is a temporary phase that can be stopped. Pumping exclusively will undoubtably lower your supply, so it's best to avoid that.

You'll be fine :) Breastfeeding is wonderful :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:50 AM on May. 8, 2009

• It only hurts if they bite. But I completly disagree with KM52mom.
    I don't flick my son in the cheek.... ouchie! I
    don't believe that just because he hurt me I get to hurt him back. At teething age they don't understand that kind of punishment.
    I tell my son "No, that hurts Mommy. When you bite you don't get to nurse." and I put him down and wait to try to nurse him for a few minutes. I don't yell, and I try really hard not to flinch when he bites so I don't frighten him.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 1:24 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I found there are periods that it hurts but it gets better for the most part. When his first 2 teeth came in it hurt for awhile... but after he got used to having these new things in his mouth he adjusted his latch and no more pain. Then it hurt again with his second set.. the top ones hurt more than the bottom. If I get sore then I just pump a bit more frequently until it feels better.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:45 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I dont flick my baby and never would i was just saying what ive heard of other moms. its only if your comfortable doing that. My dr said the first time hers bit her it scared her and she jumped and it scared her baby that he never did it again. Itll all work out hope it goes well
    KM52mom

Answer by KM52mom at 2:28 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Not at all in my opinion. My son is 14 months and I dont feel his teeth at all. One time he did bite tho, while he was playing with it, you could say.. I learned very quickly not to breastfeed if he has any indication that he wants to play. owie. That took a bit to heal and hurt while my nipple had to heal. But be caucious and all is well. thankfully it hasnt happend again. I'm glad because he only had two teeth at the time, and was just getting use to the new additions in his mouth. Now he has six, and if he were to bite he would have a pit bull like grip on me lol. that would be no good.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 4:40 AM on May. 8, 2009

• It is not supposed to. Biting while breastfeeding is often your first discipline opportunity. When baby bites, immediately pull her/him off, make sure baby can see your face and say NO very firmly, then let baby get back to eating. You need to be consistent, and do this every time.
    Congratulations on breastfeeding your baby! Remember, the World Health Organization (not as influenced by the formula industry as American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:18 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I am nursing a 23 month old and it has never hurt except the very beginning a little. If they do bite the best thing is to pull them INTO the breast so they associate something bad happening to them when they bite. I nursed my first until 18 months when I was pregnant and he self weaned and it never hurth with him either.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:29 AM on May. 8, 2009